Advice needed on bullet depth

Hello again folks,

As above i'm getting inconsistant O.A.L even though i don't alter my seating depth.

I'm wondering; if i have inconsistant brass length, would that then show in my O.A.L even if my bullet depth is consistant??

Advice appreciated.

Hello again folks,

As above i'm getting inconsistant O.A.L even though i don't alter my seating depth.

I'm wondering; if i have inconsistant brass length, would that then show in my O.A.L even if my bullet depth is consistant??

Advice appreciated.

You will not get dead on OALs ever time as, especially with softpoints as the ends get flattened and do vary, measure ten of you bullets and see how they differ. The bullet will be seated each time to just about the same OAL as the bullet seating die does not push the bullet in from the end but sits just above the ogive point. What manual are you using, please say you are using one for referance. Do you have a case length trimmer, cheap piece of kit but will make sure your cases are never to long. When I have a bit of time I will meet up in the chat room on this forum and we can go through the basics.

Do you have inconsistent brass, that would be the first thing to check. Are you neck of full length sizing?

IMHO it shouldnt do, the bullets just wont be seated as far into the case, what dies are you using?

Of course there are a few members on here who will tell you 3 whacks with a hammer to the bullet is always just right and not to worry about the OAL as shorter is better!

I'm using a Hornady seating die, and i'm neck sizing as the brass is fire formed.

The difference in o.a.l variation is 2.230" to 2.236" (Is that alot?) My most accurate factory round is 2.236" so i'm trying to keep at that.

I'm using a lee modern reloading 2nd edition for reference, and always keep within the limits given by the manual.

It states a max o.a.l of 2.260"

I'm using a case trimmer as some of the brass has stretched more than others of the same batch. Hence some cases being slightly diiferent in length.

Will i need to bring all my brass down to the same o.a.l to get optimum accuracy?

Cheers fellas

You'll find the problem is the length of the bullets themselves if you are measuring from tip to base. I'm using 55gr PPU FMJ's at the moment and the OAL varies from 2.191 - 2.204 when my seating gauge is set for 2.200.

I don't think this variance is anything to worry about but I stand to be corrected.

hi , ive home loaded .222 rem and .243 calibres for over twenty years , i have found inconsistent over all lengths when the brass is being stretched due to pressure variations, but if you trim your cases and check length before completing reloading use should acheive consistency,

i try to use my own fired brass as i know it will be fire formed to my chamber and therefore i can neck size only , i also find this to be more acurate , always reload using a quality brass , norma is very good,

50 grain blitz kings are slighlty different measurement than v max rounds but this shouldnt effect your over all lentgh

Thanks for the replies folks.

The bullets are .32gn Sierra Blitzking. (ballistic tip)

And they are different lengths. I measured 10, and they ranged from .670" to .681"

Would an o.a.l variation of 2.230" to 2.236" have much of an impact on accuracy??

At this stage i'm more concerned with getting a consistant, accurate load. However, i was getting frustrated with the varying o.a.l, hence the question.

I appreciate it's too early for me to be concerned with lands issues. But If i used a comparator and all the rounds were equal going by the ogive, that still wouldn't help me get the distance to the lands consistant. How would i get consistant lands accuracy? Is it just down to using maths and adjusting the seating depth??

As I understand it Jamie, you have factory loads shooting into .6inch and your handloads going into two inches. Worrying about distance to the lands really comes into play when you are trying to improve on factory groups. Likewise just necksizing may improve accuracy but the factory rounds are all full length resized (SAMMI Spec) and they work passably well in your rifle, so why not start there.

I would go back to basics:

Full length resize, trim to length using the lee trimmer, use the bullet you know works in the factory round, check the manual for a reasonable load about 2/3rds up the range and go and shoot it.

If those loads are more than an inch and you're happy you and the conditions were a fair test, then I would suggest there may be a fundmental problem (press out of alignment, excessive crimp etc.) Tuning seating depth and playing with neck tension are tools in the box but really only when you're trying to improve on a bog standard factory round.

What about showing a photo of your loaded rounds and what the primer looks like after you have shot them.

Cheers for the advice fellas.

I'm pretty sure i understand what ogive is. Well at least i think i do.... I don't want to get in too deep with lands, ogive.... I want to get my head around the basics.

I was trying to figure out why the o.a.l of my rounds were varying.

It turned out to be varying bullet lengths and not my press or die. So thanks to Beretta28g :good:

Jam1e, don't shell out fifty quid just yet, this bit of kit will not suddenly reduce a 2inch group to a half inch group, lets see what happens when you get to test your latest batch of ammo.

No worries, i wasnt going to.

Get the basics sorted first... :good:

• 2 weeks later...