Green or Camo'?

ziplex

Evening gents, I've just ordered a Jahti Jakt outfit and after doing so was pondering......

In your humble opinions if you were to 'suit yourself up' for a day out after pigeon or fortunate enough to be out wildfowling, does it matter if you wear green, (as the JJ suit), or do you tend to wear camo' gear. Obviously hides are used but I was just wondering....... :drinks: ?

The suit will probably get a pasting fishing and walking the girls anyhow but it's intended use was primarily for shooting!

There are many theories on camo and whether it is effective or not. The idea of camo is to break up your siloette against the background making you harder to see and to blend you in with like colours (or shades in the case of colour blind animals).

I wouldnt be bothered what I'm wearing if sitting in a hide. Maybe wearing a camo cap or something similar on me head if there is a chance of anything seeing it. Rough shooting I would wear camo but I always wear camo for shooting cause its there and dont need to worry about getting it ruined.

I like khaki so I can embarrass the wife when I meet her form work :lol:

LB

Is that with a fedora too LB?, thanks for the replies guys. :good:

No mate, I wear the possum skin hat for the full effect :lol::lol::lol::lol:

LB

Nice.................................. :D:lol:

Personally I dont think you will ever beat olive drab or khaki onced its been washed a few times and faded a bit. I did recently buy some gear in Max4 to try and I'm quite impressed, it really breaks your outline which I think is often more important than blending exactly with your surroundings.

I think from experience that keeping your face covered and keeping still is probably more vital than being totally camod.

While I'm not yet completely convinced that camo is best, it certainly cant do any harm.

Leeboy

I have stalked Rabbits for YEARS wearing nothing but dark colours from dark blues blacks greens and have NEVER yet found the need for Camo. I have ALSO been out shooting with lads wearing Camo who have spooked rabbits while they were stalking along the hedge rows so in a nutshell i think it's more your stalking skills than the clothing you wear.

Now of course someone wearing dark green or black trying to sneak along a hedge of yellow leaves is going to stand out so REALLY it's wearing the appropriate colour for the surroundings (field craft)

If your shooting in snow even your camo will stand out :D

It sounds pathetic but I even got into the habit of using netting on my Air rifle and pushing grass into the netting so when i pushed the barrel through the long grass into the clearing it didn't stand out like a sore thumb.

ALSO this will sound stupid BUT i found a old stocking stretched over the scopes front lens stopped sun glare and didn't affect the clarity much.

It's not so much about colours it's about movement. If you show a sharp outline (contrast) then you are going to be easier spotted once you try to move.

Try breaking up your sillohette if your stalking and don't be afraid of Mud on your clothes it HELPS blend you in :good:

Try using a Skrim net or face veil (jack straw may be annoyed but there you go) your Quarry may WELL be able to see your face as your wearing dark colours and a hat to blend in but right smack bang in the middle is your face and it will show like a belisha beacon when you move :D

As i say i have NEVER to this date needed to use Camo.

BUT then again i have never been deer shooting and i can assume it's a damn sight harder to stalk a deer??

JMHO

LG

It has been proven that day glo pink is the best camo colour as many animals/birds only see in that colour spectrum. Don't ask any techy questions 'cause I haven't the foggiest. ???

Like most of the stuff we buy it's (camo) mainly intended to appeal to us rather than the quarry, who probably wouldn't care if you chased them stark naked. ???

Having said that I usually use camo but I did buy into last seasons offer from those nice people who do the Jahti Jakt stuff and if I didn't already have most of the kit I'd go for this years offer. Well worth the money even if you just buy it for back up. I was initially sceptical about the offer but having bought it I must say it's b***** good, keeps you warm and dry. Oh and the Mrs luvs the neoprene rubber stuff I use for wildfowling ???

I think Pigeons can see in colour but deer mostly in black and white.

You could probably get away with wearing anything thats as dark as the bacground or shades of grey and still blend in.

Pigeons especially are very tuned to shape. So anything which breaks up the shape of a shooter like a cape or a hide helps.

Both pigeons and deer are tuned to movement. If you do everything very slowly and don't make a man-with-gun shape, you are less likely to spook them.

AIMO

Interesting replies gents...appreciated. ???

I've recieved the Jahti Jakt suit and for the money it appears excellent. Only used it to walk with the dogs and it does seem breathable and can vouch for the waterproofing qualities as it p****d down just the other day and it kept me dry. Only reservation i'd have is it doesn't appear that snag/puncture proof so thorns etc might prove a problem, very comfortable tho' and looks the part.

Now..............where can I get a possum skin?, ???

• 3 weeks later...

Ive always used British Army issue DPM, i get it free anyway but as has been said once its washed a few times and dulled it is much better, You can get it cheap off ebay or any surplus store.

I dont think it matters much with rabbits but for corvids and pigeons it certainly works (unless in snow or yellow flowers :blink: ) also as said again pink hands and faces stick out like sore thumbs to anything airborn so wear gloves and veils in hides etc. Not to be racist in any way or form so do coloured peeps faces due to the shine off of sweat/natural moisture.

The most visible thing is movement, get a mate to move in a hide and watch from afar its amazing how visible it is, especially to birds flying in onto deeks - i used to scare many a pigeon due to coming into the aim to quickly and excitedly (air rifles not shotguns) - let em settle then plug em.

Sos if anyones sucking on eggs. it may be of use to newbies on the shooting/hunting scene.

Gray

I tend to use Realtree clothing when im out and about, then again it's mainly Deerstalking I do these days, I find when im on the hill the Realtree blends in very nicely, then again I have walked up to within 30 yrds on a Roe in a open field, dont think it matters all that much what your wearing as long as it blends in. :blink: