putting cars on( SORN )

four-wheel-drive

Just out of interest I put my Jeep on sorn as it is out of action and I needed to switch the insurance over to anthere car I think that the law says if a car is not insured it has to be on sorn or you will be fined.

As it is still taxed till next March when it is fixed and if I do decide to sell it can I just take the sorn off when the buyer comes to collect it or do you have to give advanced warning to the licensing people.

I'm sorry if this is a dim question but I have not had to do it before.

It is wise to insure SORNED vehicles again st theft and fire - add it to your home insurance. I have such a vehicle and take it each year to have it MOT'd - my own car insurance is sufficient and you are allowed to take the car on the public highway to get it MOT'd and to return - no round trips however.

Cash in the tax as said and retax when needed. It is an automatic fine though if car loses tax and is not SORNED.

I thought they had changed the law so all vehicles on sorn had to be insured :hmm:

All of mine are always insured, whether on the road or not!

No, you have got confused. There is no way they could force every SORN vehicle rotting away in fields, farmyards, being restored etc to have valid insurance - who'd want to pay for it, and what purpose would it serve?

You do need to have them insured to tax them though, which is understandable.

The reason that I put it on sorn was that I could not afford to insure two cars as it should only be off the road for a month or so then as soon as it is repaird I can insure it and take it off sorn if I cashed in the tax I may get £25 refund but it would cost me over £100 to tax it again and if I do sell it I would not get that money back.

From my understanding of the law all cars if they are not taxed and insured then they must be put on sorn it is to stop people driving uninsured cars so if you should get cought driving it you have no excuses. I did think one of you would now about it but it seems you lot now less than I do thanks all the same.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Hmmm maybe that was it then. I'm getting old, can't remember these things!! :lol:

If your old, hate to think what I am, your more like a spring chicken. :innocent::D

As four-wheel says they say its to try and stop unisured cars from being on the road, also another way to get some cash in the coffers from the people who may genuinally forget to submit the sorn details.

Think one one of the last updates if the car has tax on it, then it has to be insured, when sorning a vehicle you need to return the tax disc, to claim any refund. If not theres another fine to pay.

Thats right. I got stung by this earlier in the year. I bought a new car and so had to transfer my insurance to the new car. I was selling the old car which still had some tax left on it. But, by law I either had to SORN the car and cash the tax in, or get another lot of insurance on it if i wanted to keep the tax on it whilst I was selling it. I wanted to keep it taxed so buyers could test drive it. Which meant I then had to get new insurance policy on that car, and of course, i couldnt use any of my NCB as that was on the other car. So it ended up costing me as much as I pay a year just to insure the car for 6 weeks whilst I sold it.

Another example of insurance companies / govt ripping people off.