.223 questions

il cacciatore

I have just bought a Remington 700 ADL in .223. I'm pretty sure it has a 1:12 twist so I was wondering A: what bullet weight would be best (needs to be 50grn minimum expanding as ill be using them on Roe as well as fox) and B: based on that what would the best zero be for it?

Got no experience of these things so need somewhere to start, sorry if its a stupid question.

I bought a box of Federal 55grn but havent had the chance to try these out on it.

Also, its not had many bullets through (if any) it so is there a procedure for 'running it in'?

How do I clean it and how frequently?

Any info much appreciated. :good:

Will do.

I'm contemplating taking the Tasco off and putting the Pecar on it and putting the Tasco on the .22lr. I heard that Tasco made a few good scopes but I dont know if this one falls into that category. There is nothing stamped in it that I can see except 'tasco' as to model.

Is there a bedding in proceedure that I should follow as its practically brand new?

I'm contemplating taking the Tasco off and putting the Pecar on it and putting the Tasco on the .22lr.

Good move. :blush:

55 grain is best, but, try out as many different brands as possible, stick to the one that goes best with your rifle. :blink:

Iv heard that Federal American eagle 50 grain Hallow Point factory ammo is not bad and cheap and cherfull for foxes. :good: :blink:

Frank.

Federal American eagle 50 grain Hollow Point factory ammo

Frank.

First of all Ic clear your mind of talk of twist rates and bullet weights and start with a blank page .....What happens in theory can be completly different in practice with fullbore rifles .

from experience the ammo mentioned by Frank is bloody good ,at £8 per box compared to £19 per box of V-shok for almost identical results .

my own conclusions are as follows

50 - 55 grn ballistic tip and hollow point ammo through a 1 -12 twist .tight groups at 100 yds :blush:

50-55 grn soft points expect up to 3" grouping depending on brand :good:

cleaning is every ones personal preference .........I clean every time even when only one shot is fired

I use a bore guide,I never use a bronze brush now ,never use oil ..........just butches bore shine and a jag and patches .......Works for me :blink:

Good luck :blink: .............Fullbore can get inside your head if you let it :blink:

Here you go IC, all you need to know about your new rifle.

http://www.remington.com/library/downloads...ers_manuals.asp

Its a mine field all this rifle shooting, but as Ive has said, don't worry too much, try different brands in your rifle on paper first, then when you find the bullet that suits your rifle stick with it. I would try out the tasco scope first before you change it, it will surprise you. They are a good scope for the money.

When trying different brands of ammo shoot at one target with one weight and just concentrate on putting the cross-hairs on your aiming mark, don't worry if your shots don't hit the bull, just aim for the same spot every time and then compare the targets to see which one gives you the best group.

Oh yeh, write down on the targets before you shoot which weight and brand of bullet because you may forget which is which(do you think people will know i've done it :D )

Keep us posted :D

I reload coz of inconsistancy. ie once u found a factory load that suits your rifle. you realy need to buy as many as you can of theSAME BATCH No. coz if you dont you will end up wishing you had. the difference has to be seen to be believed. i had one batch give me sub 1" @100yds great i thought till i bought another box of the same bullet different batch. i went to check my zero and got 2"+ :yp: this was when i checked the No's as soon as i tried the old bullets grouping was back to normal & bang on the money

so not dose it save you a bit of dosh but consistancy is improved 100% :rolleyes::)

its also enjoyable at first then becomes a pain in the *** :yp: