Grant of FAC

Shoot-rhino

I have just been granted my first firearms certificate for a .223 and .308

I have been reading lots of threads on PW where people talk about there certificate being open etc.

Where do I stand!

I'll only be shooting foxes around the lambing shed, so my ground will be the only place I shall be shooting but just wondered where I stand!

In the conditions it states-

The firearm(s) and ammunition shall be used for the lawful shooting of vermin, ground game, fox, deer and for zeroing on suitable land over which the certificate holder has authority to shoot.

Cheers

I have just been granted my first firearms certificate for a .223 and .308

I have been reading lots of threads on PW where people talk about there certificate being open etc.

Where do I stand!

I'll only be shooting foxes around the lambing shed, so my ground will be the only place I shall be shooting but just wondered where I stand!

In the conditions it states-

The firearm(s) and ammunition shall be used for the lawful shooting of vermin, ground game, fox, deer and for zeroing on suitable land over which the certificate holder has authority to shoot.

Cheers

that will be 100% open well done.......... :good:

Nothing personal glad you got it open on first application and centre fire rifles thrown in , But that is so unfair on nearly everyone else that has to wait 5 yrs untill renewal to get it opened , and even less chance of getting centre fire on first application for hunting , maybe a little easier for range/target use that i dont know . You would not get a sniff at that in Cheshire you have to wait that long for a spud gun and then only with mentor , But it is wrong and so frustrating for people and it should be the guidelines followed equally in all areas , not random hit and miss , ps i have an open certificate .

Edited by bongo321

Nothing personal glad you got it open on first application and centre fire rifles thrown in , But that is so unfair on nearly everyone else that has to wait 5 yrs untill renewal to get it opened , and even less chance of getting centre fire on first application for hunting , maybe a little easier for range/target use that i dont know . You would not get a sniff at that in Cheshire you have to wait that long for a spud gun and then only with mentor , But it is wrong and so frustrating for people and it should be the guidelines followed equally in all areas , not random hit and miss , ps i have an open certificate .

not in cleveland, i had an address change and because of the amount of ammo and the use it came back open, also on first grant .243 for fox and deer,my son also the same :good:

Contrary to common belief, it's not difficult to get a center-fire on a first application. Show your good reason, show your safe (been shown how to use one safely) and they cannot say no.

If the FEO or FLD says you can't have one, tell them to put the refusal in writing so you can take it to appeal, at which point they change their mind - your legally entitled to one if you have good reason.

Getting an open certificate is very nice, I do feel sorry for those who get closed ones. It serves no purpose and does not improve safety - there is no such thing as 'safe' land, every shot has to be considered carefully whatever the land is.

Do you have any proof of that Doggone? Reason I ask is that my dad has an open certificate by the looks of it and I'm in the process of applying for mine, it would be fantastic to be granted an open one straight away!

Don't have proof, but my lad is a keeper in Dumfries and Galloway, and he assures me it's like that in Scotland.

Andy