Any Lamping Rabbit tips Welcome

shadowman

I am off out with the Lamp again tonight, I bagged 7 on sat but I am sure it could have been 27! There was lots out and about bit with the long grass and only using a 13FTlb ish R7 I was well out of my range.

The ones I got were sat on the tracks, I could see under the moon light so I snuck up to a skip and Pop Pop PooP! 3 shots - 3 Kills in about 6 Seconds. The rest of the little ******* took the hint... Off I went around the rest of the field my main hotspots were all overgrown but I can make out the Wabbit Runs so I know they are about.

Does anybody have any tips on this kind of Shoot? How to get closer? A hide? Keep prone and wait for them to appear? Or stay at home with the missus?

i have a Clusion lamp with a red filter, i often use the filter once i know the bunny is where i want it, but any one have any advice on using the lamp to spot them, Aim lamp high and pull down over them? just a simple 360 on the filed? Just to spot mainly.

Anything will be of help.

If you have a variable power lamp make good use of it by using it on a lower setting. Starting from left to right switch the lamp on and swing the lamp round slowly, making sure you go past the targeted area before switching off. Once you have pin pointed your targets, work your way in to them slowly and quietly. Using low power again lamp up and and swing through the target area to check your target. If you are on bring the lamp back slowly and take the shot.

If you don't have a variable power lamp, use the edge of the light so as not to spook your prey. The key is to note your target areas in one go if you can. The more you use the lamp, the more weary they will become.

Filters only need to be used when your rbbits become climatised to your normal lamp colour. Once this happens adding the filter or changing colour will help.

It pays to know the ground you are shooting on too. Make a note of the runs and feeding areas. Next time you return you will be able to save time and head for these areas, without so much use of the lamp. Note your back stops and firing positions with particular attention to distances, as night shooting can be very deceiving.

Brill, thanks for that buddy!, i have a fixed beam at the mo. i am waiting for my new one to get here!

I have changed the buld in it from 25W - 10W so it is not as crazy as it was!. i know the land quite well so i can go to the hot spots, but on the way i can somtimes be spooked myself with a bolting bunny from under my foot.

I will try that with the lamp tonight "using the edge of the beam"

The filter i use not only for the red but it does make the beam alot dimmer which is good for the last shot i think?

shadowman

I am off out with the Lamp again tonight, I bagged 7 on sat but I am sure it could have been 27! There was lots out and about bit with the long grass and only using a 13FTlb ish R7 I was well out of my range.

I assume by that statement you have a FAC if so you could you not increase the power of your gun.

If you dont have a FAC get it reduced to under the legal limit of 12ftlbs to save yourself trouble.

And best of luck lamping tonight been raining here all day so hope you dont get to wet. :good::)

shadowman

I assume by that statement you have a FAC if so you could you not increase the power of your gun.

If you dont have a FAC get it reduced to under the legal limit of 12ftlbs to save yourself trouble.

That's just what I was thinking. :) You could up the power a bit more. :good: Also after it has bee raining is very productive for rabbit shooting. :lol:

FM :lol:

Hurmmm, I thought that might stir a few things up! I do not hold MY FAC at the moment but I do have the confirmation letter for the licence, I have not upped the PWR any more as I do not want to risk it! I can turn her back down to bang on 11.9 with my finger in a split of a second so for now I am risking it all for an extra LB. I know it will not be worth it in the long run.

The valve is a bit loose where it is so I will be re-building it over the weekend.

It has been raining this morning, not so much this afternoon but does look as if it will do!

I don’t mind the wet, all the more reason for my wife to feel sorry for me! Hehehe :good:: P

I use AccuPell, I have done for a long time with my R7 I have started to use the POWAPELL, any advantages using these?

In the range I can get Air Arms hunter in centre with 4 mags! So 28 shots in a 1/2inch @ 25mtr but with Accupell I can’t keep them tight for the life of me! They seem so inconsistent! But in the field I can’t seem to hit toffee with the AA and all with ACCUPELL!

Hurmmm, I thought that might stir a few things up! I do not hold MY FAC at the moment but I do have the confirmation letter for the licence, I have not upped the PWR any more as I do not want to risk it! I can turn her back down to bang on 11.9 with my finger in a split of a second so for now I am risking it all for an extra LB. I know it will not be worth it in the long run.

The valve is a bit loose where it is so I will be re-building it over the weekend.

It has been raining this morning, not so much this afternoon but does look as if it will do!

Ah... so THATS why R7's are so poplier :good:

I am home! lol! well at work now, the letter pretty much said,

Thank you for your application, we are happy to inform you that we have accepted your application. Blah bkah blah blah,

Then its going on about I have to collect it all from the local cop shop just to sign for it or something! I was sure the guy brought it out to you?

I only got the one last night but what a shot it was! It seemed about 60 yards so I would expect it to have been a good 45! One shot to the Eye and out the ear on the other side! I could not believe it! And what a good job I did of skinning the thing in the moon light!

Not a tear on him! I did it a different way to my usual method, I put a slice on its higher back then a clean cut ring around its shoulder, pealed the skin back using the head as the pulling power! Leaving all the nice bits inside! I then took of the head nice and clean, slice the belly – slap – out come the nice bits, feet off tail, and a perfectly clean no torn meat bunny! A good job for me! Best of all! A 4 min job rather than 20.

Only problem I had, a single wabbit session!

I collected mine from my issueing police station... so theres nothing new there...

as long as your local FLO came around and inspected your gun safe than theres nothing more to do with them.... apart from random visits...

so if your at all worried about going to a police station.. dont....

again unless they offer you a speed boat... or your get a inventation to a wedding you never heard of the bride or groom..... and a sign that says Protect Our Crops.... ie cop spelled backwards.. lmao.....

When I shoot in day I hide. When i lamp I stalk. I use gen1 now so don't lamp often but i offer some tips.

Learn airgun ranges and preception of range at night.

Don't over use lamp as rabbits will be spooked

Red filter works well if they are spooked by normal light

Get in closer when lamping than shooting in daylight

Keep an eye on your shadow, don't walk with the moon behind you

Keep the wind in your face

If somebody else is holding lamp then keep barrel level with lamp.

If the bunny runs shake the lamp as this often confuses them

The bunny will often run to the side of the field but will take a few moments to get its baring

Keep scope mag low (around x4).

When stalking keep lamp off and only use for a few seconds to spot eyes.

Good luck mate.

Col