Craft cider making

Scully

Landowners mother is a leading authority on apples and as we all have apple trees she wants us to have a go at making some cider this next backend.She has loaned me a book and I'm up for it,but I get the impression the 'set-up' may get expensive and the entire process may be time consuming.

We will be staying well within the 1500 gallons requirement!

Anyone done it,or had a go?Any tips?

I do it. In fact I have pressed a ton of apples every single working day since the start of December.

I'm getting fed up of it now :D

Mostly for juice but I do make cider. It just about pays its way but little more, and that is with me already having all the equipment.

Do it for the love of it, the experience but don't do it for money.

Don't go ********* about with different yeasts or amounts of sugar, go for a good mix of apples rather than the different types and don't overlook the bramley which is an excellent cider apple. Keep it simple really does apply (ha ha) here. Don't bother with a hydrometer either unless you are selling it (under 9%) but you can water down (a bit..!) afterwards so you can err on the higher side if you wish.

Have access to plenty of water for rinsing out and cleaning. Get/make a good crusher (finer pulp the better) and if you can have a set up that allows you to crush straight into your press.

As above, don't make cider out of all your juice. Get some new 2 pint milk cartons with the locking screw tops for apple juice. This can be frozen and keeps well. Try the juices as your press - you'll be surprised at the different colours, tastes as you press. Kinda similar to the different olive oils as the juice which isn't pressed but comes out as you pile up the pulp is often the nicest apple juice you'll taste.

Am sure there's plenty more so PM me if you have any questions :)

Cheers lads.We wont be doing it for the money;I was only joking about the 1500 gallons limit!

Landowners mother is dead keen and to be honest I'm looking forward to it,even though it's a bit off yet,but the only piece of equipment I have as yet is a stainless bucket from when I was in the cheese making business!

We may have to 'make' a press,so anything could happen yet!

You're right twitchynik,there will be more questions,so thanks for the offer.

Now then peeps

i have fancied doing this for a while now,and it just so happens that the farm where my wife has her horse has the gear to do pulping and pressing, its just sat in a barn hasnt been used for about 5 years.the farmer said i could use it if i want.

so i too could be asking a few questions come harvest time.

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

What would be a suitable fruit press for making in the region of 5 to 10 gallons?

Looking on the bay there seems to be ones being sold from Germany that look pretty good, has anyone had any experience with these?

I'm fairly competant at all grain ale brewing but the only cider I've made is tesco apple juice with cider yeast dumped in, crude.

I'd like to have a go at making it properly.

Hi All, I've just joined the Forum and see you have interest in making cider. I've been making my own cider for some years now and all my equipment is home made, or usual household, or garden stuff. I did a piece for my website http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/ on my cider making rig. It looks a bit chaotic, but works and usually make a couple of five gallon batches.

Check it out on http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/category/misc/ I'll be happy to get anyone started. Once you have the kit, it's free booze.

The small basket presses from Machine Mart amongst other places would be OK for that volume.

I started off with one of those, my stuff is a little bit bigger now. By the end of the week I will have made about 16,000 litres this season.

Good to know thanks for the reply!

I'll be looking to get a press as soon as I've got some disposable, I've got all the fermenters ect from the ale brewing!