4 Bore interest only

subsonicnat

This is a most impressive feat of engineering to say the least!!! Well done.

What steel did you use for the barrel and how did you heat treat it to meet the proof?

I run my own engineering company and just love proper engineering like this.

ATB

HB

Hi Hopper Bopper:

Right mate, a valid question on Barrel Material:

Having researched a LOT on the barrel the ONLY one I could come up with to make the Grade was : >>: COLD DRAWN MILD STEEL TUBING:

it comes with the THICKNESS not the Bore Size or Diameter:

You have to order THE WALL THICKNESS, As it happened the one I chose Was about 0.002 smaller that I required:

It has to be Straight obviously , but by putting Bungs in both ends it can be Trued up, besides looking down the bore as you would a conventional gun, the rings with light behind (The Far End) will show you if is True, it doesn`t have to be Dead on, Your spread will sort that out .lol.

Turn the O/D true, put the flats on one end, turn at a slight angle to meet the flats: this is where you get it right or wrong for the wheight of the finished gun, too light and it will kick the hell out of you, too heavy and it will not balance within reason with the long stock:

it has to be screw cut on a lathe, so does the Plug, WOW I am getting in too deep here, it would take all night to go on: :lol:

Anyway I hope it has answered your question, it returns to its origanal shape after proof, it must NOT Expand and stay there, the material mentioned, does just that, No use in having material that expands and then when is checked, does not RETURN to The Dia it was checked at:: VERY very important::: there is no hardening process involved thats all it is::: the lock etc, I had cyanide hardened to a depth of about 0.003 of an inch. as where the components in the lock, to stop wear::

Thank you for comment:

What a cracking piece of engineering!! Out of curiosity what is the overall length of the gun?? Cant wait to see the modern pictures as well :)

Hi Mate, Right the BARREL is 48" long, sorry never bothered with the overall length, but when I get it down to show the insides etc, I will take note of that: Thank you for your reply.

20z load,, No mate it belongs with the BIG Boys, My auto 12 will take that.lol.

As For a Rammer, I use a Broom Handle fits nicely not too tight..

As it has turned cold, will start taking some pictures tomorrow for the interested guys on here, the lock, block ,Hook, etc..

I think I pout the wheight::: 21.5lbs.. it does absorb a lot of the recoil::

Right guys, for those interested here are some more pitures, PLEASE Bear with me camera is phone lights ****, but I think you will get the idea:

May break them up into two different attaches asthere are few. thank you. By the way someone asked about overall length:

The barrel is 49" + 17" from the Block to the Brass Butt Plate:

post-22339-0-53838100-1358712085_thumb.jpg

post-22339-0-86089500-1358712096_thumb.jpg

post-22339-0-42009000-1358712245_thumb.jpg

Right as you can see ,I did attempt to put some life into the side plate, SORRY but its ALL MY OWN WORK: No one else touched this gun : LOCK STOCK and BARREL: As I wa Told whne Shooting times Geoffery Booth..... Looked at it, he said what ever you have done is not normaly done by ONE Man, it is all Your own work: Called me a GUNSMITH.LOL>

Now I am getting really lost, with so many pictures, I do apologise for quality, but had to hold phone while doing them. it would take me all night, hope it is of interest anyway. Thank You. for interest:

post-22339-0-97858300-1358714021_thumb.jpg

post-22339-0-70724400-1358714031_thumb.jpg

post-22339-0-64686200-1358714464_thumb.jpg

post-22339-0-85091300-1358714475_thumb.jpg

******** things up: lost all the pictures (I DID not POST. Still more loading to do,Grrrrr.

post-22339-0-10133200-1358714617_thumb.jpg[

attachment=73775:MIDDLE INLAY WITH BOAT SWIVEL SQUARE.jpg]

And Again: Grrrrr.

Large Scrape on the STOCK was caused by my nephew first time out, will repair one day:

post-22339-0-52371100-1358714592_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsonicnat