Decoy patterns

Gunneravi

do pretty much wotever just leave a clear landing area were you want to be your kill zone look at the basic patterns shown in most books / websites and just make then look little more natural remember pigeons facing/landing into the wind is only a rule of thumb not set in stone same with flappers rotarys some days theyll just be bird scarer

reconassiance is much more important then pattern ive shot my best bags with just 2 flappers a floater in the right spot then on standing crop

i can see why there are so many books on pigeon shooting as the different patterns tricks is endless just finding the right technique for the day ,,,,,

• 4 weeks later...

I was called out the other day at 11.00 and told the rape was being hit hard, as i've posted before I prefer to use twelve frozen real birds as my normal set up but as it was late in the day i did not have time to defrost . So had to resort to plastics so when I set up I took a picture to show my plastic decoy set up. The Wind is left to right and the hide is on the left. I'm not sure what the decoys are they are soft plastic which were sold in packs of five some years ago. I hope this helps to show the adhoc method of distribution.

February2013006_zps0cc5c840.jpg

Are they the H and H soft full bodied type?

If so they have a hole undernesth big enough to place a hens egg in to.

They are plastic and about 3/4 full body. I've had H &H in the past but they perished. These decoys are very light to carry and fit on the normal oval headed plastic spikes.

• 2 weeks later...

I was called out on Wednesday at midday and again had no frozen birds so had to use my plastics. Due to the field having roads on two edges I had to shoot with my face to the very cold east wind so the set up reflects that the birds will have to come with the wind and turn in front of me or from my back into wind into the pattern

February2013010_zpsca5a259c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is my basic seed set up with no magnet, this allows me to travel light and move if the birds do not respond to the set up, See sporting pictures for the result as I started with no decoys just shot three pigeon and two jackdaws before setting up. The hide is under the tree on the corner and the wind is coming from the back of the hide

March2013001_zpse9aada53.jpg

Edited by pigeon controller