Decent Reasonably Priced Cleaning kit?

thepasty

Hey Guys

Can anyone recommend a decent cleaning kit (rifles and shotgun would be good) thats reasonabley priced? I'm not one for paying for brand names etc, all I need is something fit for the job.

Something like these?

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/354b1e557d791e1335034548/DAC+35+Piece+Cleaning+Kit/

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/2750853ec38fb1b207196880/HSF+24+Piece+Cleaning+Kit/

around the £20-25 range

Cheers

Steve

Thanks guys...

Anyone got the jackpike one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jack-Pyke-Universal-Shotgun-Air-Rifle-Gun-Cleaning-Kit-/271131979131?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3f20b9ad7b

I see lots of kits very similar on ebay, almost like they're buying the same kit from china and self branding.... would they?! ;)

Are aluminium rods ok?

ah cool, I thought I read somewhere (american rifle forum I think) that ally rods can damage the rifling or something... was prolly the yanks being yanky tho :D

I took another look around at the cleaning kits in my price range and came to the conclusion they were all much of a muchness so pressed the buy button on an SMK kit... looked like all the rest but was a few quid cheaper.

Edited by thepasty

I think a KIT is a good starting place for most people, and probably a cheap/inexpensive one.

The fact is brushes/mops etc wear out and fluids get used up, so you can work out pretty soon if you are happy or not, and you will have to replace lots of it in no time anyway!

:good:

I just use a bore snake for the shotgun and one piece coated rods with appropriate tools for the rifles. In theory screw together metal rods should be used with a bore guide on rifles as its the joints that can potentially damage the rifling as they enter the bore. You don't need a bore guide with good quality coated one piece rod, nor with the spike and push patch jags which are universal howadays. For an HMR a one piece rod is the way to go because the bore is so small the rod bends under pressure. Whatever rods (or kit) you buy make sure you can get replacement tools easily. There is no standardisation and there are as many different threads as there are makes and few are interchangable.

I use a Boretech rod for my HMR and Tetra for the larger calibres. Tools are Tetra or Proshot which are interchangable. (Or at least they are on the Boretech rod so I assume they are on the Tetra).

You won't even get a rod for £25 though I'm afraid. But its not worth scimping with rifle cleaning. Don't spoil the ship for a h'p'orth of tar.

thanks Gimlet, I'll acquire a decent one piece rod for my HMR, shes my favourite rifle and I'd hate to guff the bore up with some cheapo rods.

Couple of people mentioned the one piece rods, I would agree that is a good idea and especially for the HMR, but probably a separate purchase as few KITS have them as standard. :good:

thanks Gimlet, I'll acquire a decent one piece rod for my HMR, shes my favourite rifle and I'd hate to guff the bore up with some cheapo rods.

I know you don't like buying labels but avoid the cheapies. I bought the cheap version at Sportsman and the coating wrinkled up after a couple of uses so it wouldn't go down the bore. I took it back and upgraded to a Boretech which cost over £30 quid but it was worth it. I have a couple of Tetra rods in .22 and .30 and they're very good as well. Haven't tried Proshot rods but if their tools are anything to go by they should be pretty good.