flea - worm- tick- fox mange ????

danspence2012

hi all.

just a question for you.

i have been traeting my gun dog every 4 weeks with front line... great not found a flea or tick on him

and then treat worms with drogel? again fine.

he picked up suspected fox mange a couple of months ago and was treated with advocate, dose fleas worms and mange great.. dose not do ticks tho. grrrr.

what is the answer? change the treatment every 4 weeks?

after using advocate i have found 3 ticks on him. and gets the nice lumps once removed.

shame there isnt a treatment that would do all ( flea, tick, mange)

there is a tick treatment out on the market but would stop the advocate or front line working what is the answer??

If Frontline was working for you then once the mange is better go back onto the Frontline. You could use a dose of Advantage/Stronghold in mid summer and mid winter when ticks least likely. Advantage doesn't do tapeworms so you still need a quarterly tapeworm tablet.

hi all.

just a question for you.

i have been traeting my gun dog every 4 weeks with front line... great not found a flea or tick on him

and then treat worms with drogel? again fine.

he picked up suspected fox mange a couple of months ago and was treated with advocate, dose fleas worms and mange great.. dose not do ticks tho. grrrr.

what is the answer? change the treatment every 4 weeks?

after using advocate i have found 3 ticks on him. and gets the nice lumps once removed.

shame there isnt a treatment that would do all ( flea, tick, mange)

there is a tick treatment out on the market but would stop the advocate or front line working what is the answer??

ivermac sorts all

Hi Dan,

I use Advocate on my lot and also had concerns over ticks,asked my vet about a tick treatment to use alongside,and he told me that it is also a tick treatment as well,advertised in the US market it is classed as a tick treatment,but because of our licencing laws it was not allowed to be listed on UK packets.

hope this helps as the flea treatments are not the cheapest things to buy!!.

I use Advocate on my lot and also had concerns over ticks,asked my vet about a tick treatment to use alongside,and he told me that it is also a tick treatment as well,advertised in the US market it is classed as a tick treatment,but because of our licencing laws it was not allowed to be listed on UK packets.

Not so. I wonder if you vet is confusing Advantix? There is no ingredient in Advocate that will kill ticks. Ivermectin doesn't kill ticks, but does kill some dogs!

ivermac sorts all

Just a word of warning.

Ivermac has been known to kill collie type dogs, so I would be very careful using it on some of our field trialling type dogs.

As I'm sure most will know they do have collie in there make up.

This is one of the reasons it is not been licensed in the UK.

This was found to be the case as when farmer where treating there stock the collie would get it at the same time only to die.

Would I use it on my springer or Labs, NO!

​Saying all that and trying to put you off using it, I treated all the fox hounds with it when I was in hunt service

Edited by Actionpigeons

i think will get back on to the vet..

in the mean time i will just keep switching i think. mainly sticking to frontline, his mange cleaered up a few months ago i just carried on using it as it put me on edge. but think as you said switching around may be the way forward as you can not used two things together.. one will stop the other working.

its a hard one..

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest you discuss this with a vet, it's might be worth giving them a heads up before hand - this way they can make sure they are up to date on the facts. Few vets are experts in parasitology but they are professionals and are the best source of advice and have access to the facts.

As stated above, ivermectin can kill some dogs i.e. collies. Frontline is very effective - best selling veterinary medicine ever, however it's not a cure all - no claims for tape worms or roundworms. Certifect is basically Frontline with a second active ingredient which speeds up the tick kill.

To say that you can't use 2 products together because one will stop the other working is incorrect. But you need to be aware that if different products contain the same active ingredient, or class of active ingredient, then you could inadvertently be giving your dog an overdose. Some medicines are incompatible with others but i am not aware of this with ecto / endo paraciticides for dogs. Modern veterinary medicines are generally very safe and have wide safety margins but i say again best you consult your vet.

P.S. I am not a vet so don't listen to me!