bullet choice for the 6.5x55

As no one on the island here stocks bullets I will be putting in an order for some bullets before too long and was wondering what bullets you guys and gals would suggest trying through my new tikka when it arrives. I have a trip booked down in England this coming August and all going to plan I will be shooting muntjac, roe and fallow. I was thinking hornady 140gr interlock SP or nosler 140gr partition or accubond.

Any suggestions welcome :good:

Personally I use 140gn Nosler Partitions which do an accurate and terminal job on contact.. I used 125gn NPs for a while by felt they were doing a lot of damage and weren't always expanding much on smaller deer. Haven't had that issue with the 140s.

I used to swear by Speer 140gr SP until I saw what happened to a fallow I shot the other week with my mates rifle I now swear at them! That's what he loads and the bullet completely destroyed it - broke up into several pieces and rattled all around the carcass!

I've never had any issues with Hornady Interlocks and load them in my combi. I use SST's in my 7-08 and am pleased with them and another friend uses them in 6.5 flavour and loves them. I don't like Nosler simply because of the price but they are good bullets.

My favourite 6.5x55 bullet was the 130gr Barnes TSX, but they're not cheap either.

I use 140 grain Nosler Partition in my Sako Finnlite on roe, positive results and very little meat damage. Talked to a long time deer stalker and took his advice, on the downside I have had difficulty getting a reliable supply.

Getting what you want in smaller quantities is an issue through the whole of the UK. Find what you like and buy in bulk and seriously consider a non expanding sent via post for practice shooting. Even the .243 can be hard to feed a particular diet if your not close to a big dealer

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be ordering from the states as it is a heck of a lot cheaper than ordering from down on the mainland. I ordered dies for the hornet a few weeks ago and got stung for tax and it was still cheaper than anything I could get new from the mainland. thanks again. Aister.

I use the privi's in my tikka 6.5 139 grain sp bt :.)

It came a beautiful day yesterday and I got the tikka set up and run in, so far so good. I only had winchester 140gr SP to try but they were giving a nice 1" groups at 100. I got some PPU 139gr SP last night to try, hopefully be a nice night through the week to have a crack with them. So far PPU bullets work best out of all the factory ammo I have tried through the 30-06, .223 and the hornet, maybe the tikka will be the same.

the FMJ PPUs group like a shotgun in my Steyr - not tried the SPs as i've never come across them in any of the shops round here.

SP's are similar to a shotgun at 100 yards. everywhere!.

I have used A-Max, Interlock, and just trying some Barnes TSX.

140GN Hornady Interlocks are a very dependable bullet.

ppu sp work ok in my 6.5. keep as a back up

120 speers did not group

140 speers grouped but have had two back ones. a muntjac where the bullet separated and then rattled around inside before coming back towards me. i didnt know until i skinned it to find the entry hole and exit hole on the same side of the beast. also a fallow where the bullet went into 3 good chunks and wrecked the whole carcass.

i head shot a fallow at less than 20 feet. the bullet when though and then into the skin of the shoulder, did not enter the meat but knackered the shoulders.

i will keep what i have for fox and then im trying 160gr sierra sp. after that. no idea lol.

I am using, and have always used, Federal 140's, from roe to boar and have only ever had one problem round.

Had a shot go straight through a red hind, no expansion at all, so needed a follow up to be sure.

They are accurate and do the job, simple as that.

Once they are gone I have 200 Hornady in the cabinet to use next, for no other reason than I got a great deal on them, and they are a touch quicker looking at the specs