kent

Just a reminder to us all now the game season is over and Wildfowling almost out to remember any issues we might have had with the dog and draw a plan of action to correct them for next.

Things I need to work on are

1.delivery actually into the hide / hole, Has learned to associate this with another long cold /wet wait following hand over I am afraid.

2. total steadiness to shot, has also learned that bang means duck- unusual as I shot like a fool most of the time! and i only sent him on one immediate effect- a strong runner it turned out so unfortunately it was great fun

3. blinds actually in the water at distance, my omission in earlier training

Yes, I have to get one of my labs bitches back to looking at me for directions on blinds when sent out from a hide.

she has a lot of gun sense, if I shoot twice hitting the first bird and then swinging round and missing the 2nd she always goes the direction of the 2nd shot.

Its handy when I only shoot once as she takes the direction the gun is pointing when fired as where she has to go for the bird.

This only happens when I am shooting from a hide she can not see out of.

I have to stop her a cpl of times before she will take direction commands.

I will put this right in the summer with a good few blind retrieves, hopefully this will teach her that some times I do know best.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Yes, I have to get one of my labs bitches back to looking at me for directions on blinds when sent out from a hide.

she has a lot of gun sense, if I shoot twice hitting the first bird and then swinging round and missing the 2nd she always goes the direction of the 2nd shot.

Its handy when I only shoot once as she takes the direction the gun is pointing when fired as where she has to go for the bird.

This only happens when I am shooting from a hide she can not see out of.

I have to stop her a cpl of times before she will take direction commands.

I will put this right in the summer with a good few blind retrieves, hopefully this will teach her that some times I do know best.

Yes marking from the gun aint something he has picked up yet, not a fault but its also well on my radar.

close hunting , thats my problem , to be honest i dont think it can be solved now . it must be something i,m doing but i dont know what.

i,m on my 3rd springer now and started off ok , but as her confidence grows shes getting out there further and futher , she was hunting a lovely pattern and hedge bottoms , but now she gets out too far as soon as i release her from heel and i,m forever calling her back or double pipping . shes hunting but too wide . i can't think of anything thats changed .

what could have i done wrong ?? i,d like to bring her in closer and get some contact back again .

ideas welcome

close hunting , thats my problem , to be honest i dont think it can be solved now . it must be something i,m doing but i dont know what.

i,m on my 3rd springer now and started off ok , but as her confidence grows shes getting out there further and futher , she was hunting a lovely pattern and hedge bottoms , but now she gets out too far as soon as i release her from heel and i,m forever calling her back or double pipping . shes hunting but too wide . i can't think of anything thats changed .

what could have i done wrong ?? i,d like to bring her in closer and get some contact back again .

ideas welcome

Don't use your whistle as much! If shes ignoring it then get out after her, two pips and bring her back the way you want. Do that a few times and then don't blow the whistle for her to turn, just get out after her, make her think she's missed the whistle and she'll start switching on. Don't be disheartened if her pace slows after this, that's normal, she's going to get a telling off. But she'll come round

Good advice there. If she's beyond the ball stage and knows wat it's all about try and get her some close finds ov cold game and some close flushes if possible - if you don't have an abundance ov game, dizzied pigeons will help! Try not to hunt her where she can see game in the distance as this may encourage her to bore ahead. Keep turning direction when your hunting to try n keep her focus on you more - so your not just following her. Use the wind!

It's amazing how quick you can untrain them. One ov my bitches was rock steady - she wouldn't move on anything but this season I hav sent her for a lot ov runners and she chased a rabbit on our last shoot day - only 10 yards but.... She needs some work again.