Epic day on the Roe

crazyfrog

I was out a couple of days ago with the decoys on one of my permissions, late afternoon the farmer came down the field and told me the resident 7 Roe (2 Bucks 5 Does) were along a bit further in some dead ground that I couldn't see from my position, I headed along as I also had my .223 with me just incase. The wind was blowing the trees sideways so didn't get onto them and away they went.

BUT

Today I went for first light. Just before 10am I was lying up in a row of round bales the farmer has on the top of a ridge that enabled me to look downhill on either side with a good back stop either way, they came in at a rate of knots from the south east, headed past me heading west to the farmers far boundary, my heart skipped a beat as I thought there was no way they were stopping.

But after they went past the rows of hay bales they screeched to a halt and headed North East towards me.. Brilliant.

They screeched to a halt, one of them was about 130 yards out and a perfect side on with a good back stop. Bang down she went. I thought the rest would high tail it out, but no they run slightly East just in front of me and stopped again, bang I had another one at 160 yards.

Two down, the remainder ran North East through a line of trees into the farmers next field.

I headed down towards where they went through the tree line and they were all milling around in this field unsure what their next move would be. I saw another Roe down in front of me quite a way out, bang, down it went, I ranged this one later and it was bang on 200 yards.

The remaining two mature Bucks and one Doe ran to the North West and away.

But there was one more younger Doe still in the field to the East of my position as I was still in the tree line, I used cover and stalked in closer to her, every time I was almost ready to take the shot she moved, this went on 3 or 4 times and then she stood long enough. Bang down she went.

All in all I had 4 well placed heart and lung shots that did the job.

The two Mature Bucks and the one remaining Doe will no doubt meet up with other Does and create a large group in no time.

Unfortunately the farmer was otherwise occupied, so no tractor to help me, I spent a few hours dragging them in, Gralloching and then taking back up to the farm buildings etc.

I am giving my mate one of the Does as he is my buddy shooter on this permission and is now at his for the dinner plate, he was going to shoot the ground tomorrow, but I will have them spooked for a wee while at least, so another good reason to give my buddy some well earned venison, I gave one of the other Does to the farmer as a massive thankyou. I have the other two hanging and they will fill a nice hole in the freezer.

When I finished I ranged all these distances so figures are spot on.

So as the title says, what a EPIC day for me.

Oh and yes the farmer has crops so had a grin from ear to ear.

Edited by crazyfrog

Great morning and well done, its mad isnt it how deer respond to a gun shot. If I'm stalking fallow and they see me before I see them they are gone. If I see them first and shoot one they often run a few yards and stop to see what the hell is going on, suppose they don't really know were the shot came from and are unsure if they are running into danger.

That's a fair haul!

I can't decide whether to try vmax's in my .22-250 for the roe. Thought they might be too explosive? I've been using soft points so far but prefer using ballistic tips if I can.

Ive used the same round in the same calibre on Roe, had good results, one drop on the spot and another run 10 yards and fall down. I do use soft points aswell but thought I would see what they where like. I would use them again. Best thing about soft points is that you get a blood trail.

Ive used the same round in the same calibre on Roe, had good results, one drop on the spot and another run 10 yards and fall down. I do use soft points aswell but thought I would see what they where like. I would use them again. Best thing about soft points is that you get a blood trail.

Thank you :good: I'll give them a try and see how they group

• 3 weeks later...

That's a fair haul!

I can't decide whether to try vmax's in my .22-250 for the roe. Thought they might be too explosive? I've been using soft points so far but prefer using ballistic tips if I can.

Personally I can't understand the fascination with ballistic tips - who'd thought using a bit if plastic and some well spent marketing money could create such a good seller (please more I didn't say good product). It's a marketing gimmick always has been and those that don't know, they are a vermin round made to cause as much damage as possible. A SP head kills as efficiently if in most cal's does do a cleaner job. That is fact, obviously you'll have differing opinions/experiences but those that shoot a lot of deer for a living (Professional stalkers/ Contractors / FC ) don't and won't use them,

T

Plastic is easier to form accurately than lead and less likely to get damaged before use, so I am sure many will say they are inherently more accurate.

Not all ballistic tips are created equal, they don't all do as much damage as possible.

Having said that I wouldn't heart/lung shoot roe with them, it will be interesting to see the pictures of the OPs deer, he is obviously happy with their performance.

Personally I can't understand the fascination with ballistic tips - who'd thought using a bit if plastic and some well spent marketing money could create such a good seller (please more I didn't say good product). It's a marketing gimmick always has been and those that don't know, they are a vermin round made to cause as much damage as possible. A SP head kills as efficiently if in most cal's does do a cleaner job. That is fact, obviously you'll have differing opinions/experiences but those that shoot a lot of deer for a living (Professional stalkers/ Contractors / FC ) don't and won't use them,

T

nope i used them for a long time when i was keepering. over 400 deer in 5 years almost all with BTs the keepers next door (next to glenartney too) used them for all their deer stalking imo they are about the best for stalking in dence woodland forestry and christmas trees,they have a lot of put down power where meat damage is not too much of a problem

Plastic is easier to form accurately than lead and less likely to get damaged before use, so I am sure many will say they are inherently more accurate.

Not all ballistic tips are created equal, they don't all do as much damage as possible.

Having said that I wouldn't heart/lung shoot roe with them, it will be interesting to see the pictures of the OPs deer, he is obviously happy with their performance.

As above.

nope i used them for a long time when i was keepering. over 400 deer in 5 years almost all with BTs the keepers next door (next to glenartney too) used them for all their deer stalking imo they are about the best for stalking in dence woodland forestry and christmas trees,they have a lot of put down power where meat damage is not too much of a problem

Same here - although there is a bit more meat damage with BT's I' say.

Also know plenty of stalkers/keepers who use them.

Sauer.

• 1 month later...

If your hunting for sport and want the meat ,then I have to agree.If your to control them as pests then you may choose to go down that road if meat damage is not a priority!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BT's in a light bullet will obviously act differently than a heavier BT bullet, I personally would steer clear of BT's in 22 centerfire for Roe.

Sako Gamehead SP's are the best factory rounds I've put through my 22-250.

Thanks Mark :good: I tried the vmax as I zerod the rifle at a 100 yards and the gun would group the BT bullets almost on top of one another. I get just under an inch with the sako bullets,(which is good enough) but not as good for confidence!