Training springer pup

dipper

Master the stop command....? Can you stop him, turn him, recall him with ease?

I wouldn't let mine get that far away, but at 8 months I'm concentrating on basic starts, stops, recalls and a bit of retrieving with my cocker. There's plenty of time to hunt when they've mastered the basics, so re-gain control while he's still young (and you still can!).

Once my cocker responds to my every command in as many scenarios I can create, and I have ultimate control over where she goes and what she does, I'll introduce her to hunting more. It sounds like you're letting him do too much of what he wants, and too early, perhaps?

As said, get the basics well drilled in first.

You want the dog hunting 10-15yrds either side and about 10yrds in front, not 30.

If he goes to far, recall him and cast him off again.

But that goes back to the first point, is he 100% on the recall.....

Edited by chrispti

When your out for a walk, don't walk in a straight line. Don't take a circular route. the reason being the dog gains confidence in knowing where you are and where you will be so doesn't have to keep tabs on you.

Go for a walk but zig zag when the dog is 10 yds one way turn and walk away, giving a little pip on your whistle, and keep doing this. Make it the dogs responsibility to keep tabs on where you are, not the other way round. When I first started walking my springer pup if you'd had a tracker on me it would have looked like a kid had scribbled all over a map. This is best done when they are younger as they are less adventurous and a little more clingy but should hopefully still redress the balance of power. Bear in mind it doesn't matter how far you go on your walk, its not about covering a set distance its about being out for a period of time, the dog will still get the exercise just likely in a smaller area.

Also use your voice, when the dog is at the outer limit of your acceptable range call him harshly FIDO, the second he turns towards you soften your voice fido, fido, fido, in doing so the dog learns that its a nice place to be within range, but that too far away he gets shouted at. As he learns this lesson there will be times when he ignores you, and you will have to get after him.

You might want to keep him closer than 30yds many advocate 20yds as a maximum as any birds flushed will be out of range by the time you've got the gun up. Train him at 12 yds as once he's on game that distance will naturally stretch.