Browning x-bolt 243 stainless fluted -what ammo?

The minimum legal bullet weight for Roe deer is 100grn. It must also be a soft lead expanding bullet head (This only applies in England & Wales) I use this on both Deer & Fox (reloads) with particulary excellent results on Fox.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 100gn rule applied to Scotland together with the other criteria.

I obtained the information from here. http://www.fieldspor...ht-calibre.html

Oops! Quoting the 1963 Deer Act and detailing 1700FPS, may have given a clue that the author was a tad off beam. The other country to specify a calibre is Northern Ireland and unlike England at least they've got it right.

Steve, have a shufti at the BASC site.

Again, I hope I have it right.

Oops! Quoting the 1963 Deer Act and detailing 1700FPS, may have given a clue that the author was a tad off beam. The other country to specify a calibre is Northern Ireland and unlike England at least they've got it right.

Steve, have a shufti at the BASC site.

Again, I hope I have it right.

I never noticed the date that the info' was quoted from. :blush: I'll check the BASC website, but don't doubt for one minute that you are right. :good:

I use Norma 75 grain V Max in my Xbolt. Good factory load i get from Sportsman Guncenter at £25 a box of 20 and my rifle loves them. Good accurate round imo so give them a whirl.

DD

Sorry should have mentioned I only shoot fox at the moment that why I use the lighter 75grain bullets rather then the 100grain legal bullets for Roe. Don't want anyone mistakenly thinking I shoot Deer with rounds that are not legally heavy enough for the job.

DD

The minimum legal bullet weight for Roe deer is 100grn. It must also be a soft lead expanding bullet head (This only applies in England & Wales) I use this on both Deer & Fox (reloads) with particulary excellent results on Fox.

sorry that's wrong info. its only Scotland that stipulate above 100grn and that's for anything other than roe were 50grn can be used. Energy is the requirement here its ok to use 95grn bullets on Red etc.

100grn deer bullets can be too tough and fail to impart all their energy on fox, yes they work but can be unpredictable "pencilling" being common place. Varmint bullets like 75 v-max can be too damaging to meat on deer and in certain placements can create "splash wounds" on deer. The most reliable I have found in many years use "as a duel use bullet" is the 95grn ballistic tip from Nosler. The only issue you might face with these is at high short range impact speeds you often lack an exit wound. If you have a genuine requirement to shoot at extreme range they are a top choice though as they will still fragment and expand at quite low speed, at more modest ranges the base holds together well for deeper penetration. This bullet is NOT a good choice for boiler room shots on large deer in woodland though, you will rarely get a good blood trial or "strike"

Blimey if there was an advert for dsc then this is it some well ropey advice. For foxes you will be hard pushed to beat the 75 vmax whether that's in a factory load or with something along the lines of 37 grains of varget. Deer just step up to a soft point I like 85 grn sierras and seem to stop fallow well enough while being pretty good on foxes as well

Blimey if there was an advert for dsc then this is it some well ropey advice. For foxes you will be hard pushed to beat the 75 vmax whether that's in a factory load or with something along the lines of 37 grains of varget. Deer just step up to a soft point I like 85 grn sierras and seem to stop fallow well enough while being pretty good on foxes as well

Not sure where your coming from with the part of ropey advice, or where the DSC is concerned. Iv tried 2 bullets in my .243 Xbolt, the first was Prvi partizan 100 grains soft points and my rifle hated

them. I tried the 75 grain Vmax and found they produced good groupings upto 200 yrds and stuck with them. No one doubted whether they could be beaten or not in factory load or home loaded with 37grains of varget. Only thing i was suggesting was for him to try the 75 grain Vmax bullet out for himself on the fox and nothing else. I have never been deer stalking as of yet so couldn't advise anything on that subject as i don't claim to know enough. All iv been led to believe is that for Deer shooting, 100grain is the legal requirement for most deer including Roe and that has come of experienced shooters and not being fully in the know about deer stalking as of yet, i couldn't really argue they may be wrong about it.

So i suggest you get off one's high horse and stop steaming in with comments that are clearly not needed.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

As i see it i didn't give any advice other then try the 75 grain Vmax a go for foxes. I see nothing wrong with saying that to a fellow shooter.

I dont recall giving any advice at all on the required bullet weight for shooting deer. Other then mentioning in a second post that i only shoot fox with the Vmax and nothing more not even deer. As i didn't want people thinking i maybe shooting deer with under weight bullets.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

Ok, thanks for the helpful replies. Lets not turn this into an argument. I don't think al4x was aiming his comment at you anyway!

If you have an x-bolt then I would love to hear what works for you.

Don't be too specific in your question. Most factory .243" win rifles carry the same twist and will perform pretty much the same across the brands. Taking two x-bolts even one might really love one load and the other like something else equally. 55- 100 grns they mostly all perform bigger than 100 you start to need a faster twist.

Thanks, I've tried a few 100 grain rounds Winchester privi and federal and they didn't group very well. 90 grain sako game heads also weren't ideal. I'm using 55 grain Winchester bt's at the moment, they were ok at 100 yards but opened up to about 3" at 230 yards. I'm about to start reloading so would like to get a good idea of what works best before I buy. Ideally one load for fox and deer, so a soft point 70 or 80 grain would be ideal.

Sierra do an 85grn soft point which seems to be the best of both worlds, really works well on foxes and I've not had any problems with them with deer. That group at that range actually isn't that bad much as you read of tiny groups on here real life can be different. you may find the more you use the gun that it gets better, ultimately that would be acceptable for deer and even foxes on centre chest shots

As Kent says most will have the same twist and shoot 55 to 85 or so best after that they can be a little hit and miss but if your groups open up a bit on 100 grainers odds are it won't really matter on deer

Don't misquote me please 55-100 grns are all fine. The only issue you can find is 100grn partition / A frame type bullets don't shoot bug holes - due to the uneven balance of the twin cores (then again they aint ment for shooting bugs they is for blooming big deer) 105, 107's can be an issue in std twist- some shoot them some don't 1-8 might be required for specialst 6mm bullets at the heavy end (beyond the scope of a deer or vermin gun anyway). If you have issues or think you have and are using 100 grn boat tails - switch to a flat base bullet. The 100 grn Seirra Prohunter flat base bullet is a personal favourite.