Gaining permission

Darno

I have been reading loads of posts about people having trouble gaining permission.

I am not writing to gloat about it, but I have never had a problem really!

As a bathroom and kitchen fitter, I work for lots of people, a few have been farmers and I always have an ask and I think I have yet to have one say no!

I tend to go a different way home from work every day when I'm on the hunt for permission and try every farm I see! I currently have about 10 large permissions, and several smaller ones, like paddocks and small woodlands. And they are for pigeon, rabbit, pheasant, duck, goose, anything really!

I don't dress smart, I tend to be in my work clothes and driving my van!

I just tell them who I am where I live, and ask if there is anything they want shot.........and name drop any other farmers they mite know that I already shoot for.

Don't want to sound smug, just beginning to wonder if it's people approach that puts farmers off.

Yeah, it's the way the majority of us do it. I've gotten a few permissions from just striking up chat, a few from relatives of the farmer and a few from just asking about.

It's not hard, but most of us don't talk about it that much.

The only thing I'd say is try not to overstrech yourself with permissions. I'd rather have 1500 acres that I have a couple of happy farmers on, than 150,000 acres where they never see me.

I have been reading loads of posts about people having trouble gaining permission.

I am not writing to gloat about it, but I have never had a problem really!

As a bathroom and kitchen fitter, I work for lots of people, a few have been farmers and I always have an ask and I think I have yet to have one say no!

I tend to go a different way home from work every day when I'm on the hunt for permission and try every farm I see! I currently have about 10 large permissions, and several smaller ones, like paddocks and small woodlands. And they are for pigeon, rabbit, pheasant, duck, goose, anything really!

I don't dress smart, I tend to be in my work clothes and driving my van!

I just tell them who I am where I live, and ask if there is anything they want shot.........and name drop any other farmers they mite know that I already shoot for.

Don't want to sound smug, just beginning to wonder if it's people approach that puts farmers off.

Don't want to sound smug!!!!!

Sorry pal but smug is written all over you,some people try really hard to get permission and you ridicule the fact that they dress respectably whilst trying to impress.

Nice one fella!!

Sorry pal but smug is written all over you,some people try really hard to get permission and you ridicule the fact that they dress respectably whilst trying to impress.

Nice one fella!!

i think he is telling how it is! i feel the same about him, the only time you would see me in a suit is in court.....dress as a normal person, even wehn i was younger ive turnt up in modified boy racer cars and you know what....still get the shoots then i know other people in my area who dont get a look in

I dont see smug, I see a guy passing the word on how it works for him.

cheers buddy :good:

I go with the offer of free crop protection and pest control and drop in some names of farmers they might know as well as mention parts of there land I've seen something that might need a dressing.

Its about showing that you have something to offer and benefit them.

I dont see smug, I see a guy passing the word on how it works for him.

cheers buddy :good:

I go with the offer of free crop protection and pest control and drop in some names of farmers they might know as well as mention parts of there land I've seen something that might need a dressing.

Its about showing that you have something to offer and benefit them.

Nice one fella!!

I don't see how I ridicule anyone in my post!

All I said was I don't dress smart cos I'm in my work clothes most of the time!

Hope your not to upset tho!

Don't think he's being smug either. Do think it helps though if you can drop a couple of names in during the conversation. Got my biggest and proberbly best permission by phoneing the farmer. Only knockbacks ive had are because people are paying for it. Some have said they have people already shooting but they only go in the warmer months "so fill yet boots" but hardly ever see anyone,even in the easier months.

Thought as much! Wat you shooting down there? You get many Pigeons? Iv found my perms a bit thin on the ground lately! Hopin for a better year this year tho!

Pigeon, rabbit and corvids mainly.... but the rabbits have all emigrated (apparently), pigeon are all hiding out in the Ivy eating berry's so we're mostly trying to out wit the many many many crows at the moment.

I am yet to see any huge flocks of pigeon like they get are north but there are a few about, got to be in the right place at the right time.

hows things up your way?

Pretty much the same, rabbits seem to have disappeared........told the farmer threat was down to our studious lamping efforts:-)

Few pigeons about on the roost; tons of rooks and crows on the farm yards!

**** year on the duck and goose front tho.

Seen plenty of pigeons on one of my perms, but wouldn't decoy! Ended up with 3 after a full day:-)

I have 3000 acres to shoot roughly but only shot 500 over 3 farms as that's where I impress and receive a call when its busy with pigeon.

I'm out asking this week after work in my snickers work wear in my van which I keep clean and smart. I tell them the other farms I shoot,pass a business card on as I'm a joiner and normally get permission.

I showed a lad a work on a dinner time and got 50% :)

I don't push but give a friendly thank you

Pretty much the same, rabbits seem to have disappeared........told the farmer threat was down to our studious lamping efforts:-)

Few pigeons about on the roost; tons of rooks and crows on the farm yards!

**** year on the duck and goose front tho.

Seen plenty of pigeons on one of my perms, but wouldn't decoy! Ended up with 3 after a full day:-)

ehehe I told the farmer the rabbits have likely drowned :), I stopped lamping start of November last year as they were getting so thin on the ground, I went out last week for a scout around and didnt see a thing, not a sausage. Altho I've got a small new permission recently and altho I havent been out lamping but when walking around with the shotgun I've seen a fair bit of rabbit signs around... I'll give them a few more weeks before having a pop at them.

3 isnt a great days shoot but is enough for a hearty pigeon dinner! :), you did better than my zero for Saturday afternoon ;)

Edited by thepasty

ehehe I told the farmer the rabbits have likely drowned :), I stopped lamping start of November last year as they were getting so thin on the ground, I went out last week for a scout around and didnt see a thing, not a sausage. Altho I've got a small new permission recently and altho I havent been out lamping but when walking around with the shotgun I've seen a fair bit of rabbit signs around... I'll give them a few more weeks before having a pop at them.

3 isnt a great days shoot but is enough for a hearty pigeon dinner! :), you did better than my zero for Saturday afternoon ;)

Bad one.(zero on Saturday)

Just picked up another permission this afternoon, about 400acres with about 50 acres of woodland and 3 ponds:-) and it's about 1/2 mile from my house:-)

Wants the corvids taken care of for now, but hoping for the pigeons and duck to follow:-)