Anyone carry a shotgun and a rifle?

thepasty

The .410 plus .22 sounds like a great gun for hedgerow walking, which is my favourite type of shooting anyway. Think i will keep my eye out when i eventually get round to getting my FAC.

This one will no doubnt be gone by then...

http://www.gunstar.c...le-gs57890.aspx

That's the same as what I had, I thought it was a great gun and I shot a lot of rabbits with it.

You could moderate them, but you would loose the beauty.....One day maybe i will own one.............

EDIT: I think i just had a crisis............... http://www.fanzoj.com/en/gunroom/new_guns/_popup/020.html

12G SxS with a .22 Hornet in the rib...........................

EDIT 2: I didnt think it would happen..................... http://www.fanzoj.com/en/gunroom/flagship_guns/the_bear_poker/index.html :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by HDAV

Shame uk law makes drillings and combo guns so difficult...... 16g SxS over a CF is handy or a 20 with .22LR......

What makes you say that fella? Have you been having trouble trying to get one?

I tried a couple of times to carry both my deer rifle and a shotgun on my shoot. I found that it was that much messing about to get sorted when a shot presented itself that I rarely shot anything at all! I've now got my combi, a 7x57R/12g and it's great. It's accounted for more game than any other gun I've owned and quite possibly more than all of the others put together!

Sights wise it's got open irons and I've added a scope with QD mounts. Two levers to flip and it's on/off - always returns to zero.

Mines just on my FAC as a combi. I called my firearms department and advised them of my intentions and the security issues with needing two guns in remote spots, they thought it was a good idea. I then put a deposit on the gun and sent the variation. As there are so many options and so few guns around I'd really recommend this - no point having 12g/7x57 listed if a 12g/7x64 or one of the many other options appears. Find the gun, then ask for the slot! Because the shotgun is part of a firearm it's classed as such, so the SGC has nothing to do with it.

If you do go for one, a few notes I have made are..

- Never load the rifle barrel when shooting at the sky. Pulling the wrong trigger could be trouble and as silly as it sounds I've done it several times in the heat of the moment.

- Don't expect the rifle to be hugely accurate, especially if you're firing a lot of shots. The rib gets hot and makes the shots string quite badly

- Be sure of your shots. Unlike a bolt action rifle or O/U shotgun you only get one go. That's unless you have a drilling, which is what I'm after at the moment.

- If it has a set trigger, the recoil of the shotgun barrel can set off the rifle (great for foxes at close range)!

What makes you say that fella? Have you been having trouble trying to get one?

A mates dad had one doblue 16 bore over 7x57 and his FEO took it off him and the only way he coucl get it back was to do DSC 1, if they are sensible and let you ahve a slot for "CF combi" then great, I dont have FAC can't justify it, if i could a drilling or combi would be on my list How about a SxS 20/28 over a pump/lever action .22LR

A mates dad had one doblue 16 bore over 7x57 and his FEO took it off him and the only way he coucl get it back was to do DSC 1, if they are sensible and let you ahve a slot for "CF combi" then great, I dont have FAC can't justify it, if i could a drilling or combi would be on my list How about a SxS 20/28 over a pump/lever action .22LR

That's just silly! Could he shoot deer with other rifles or did they have an issue which caused them to want him to show some proof of his ability?

whats a drilling?

A Drilling is a three barrelled gun. I think named from the German word for three - Drei. They can come in double rifle and single shotgun, double shotgun and single rifle or sometimes two different calibre rifles and a shotgun (sometimes you get a sleeve to fit in one of the shotgun barrels which turns it into a rifle).

That's just silly! Could he shoot deer with other rifles or did they have an issue which caused them to want him to show some proof of his ability?

A Drilling is a three barrelled gun. I think named from the German word for three - Drei. They can come in double rifle and single shotgun, double shotgun and single rifle or sometimes two different calibre rifles and a shotgun (sometimes you get a sleeve to fit in one of the shotgun barrels which turns it into a rifle).

NOt sure he was a member of an club and bisley and used to shoot it there but on renewal they took the slot away and he had it in RFD's for 2 years until they agreed to let him have it for "Deer" and had to do DSC1 he had FAC for years and i think another CF not sure.

Drilling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun

Thanks!