nothing wrong with my freelander!

Chr15j

Try driving one with the K series engine and pound to a penny your review won't be as good once the head gaskets start going!! Speaking from experience :sad1: I quite like the freelanders, but the boot space just isn't big enough

I have a k series on a y 2001. Just done 124k the k series is a sound enough engine which was produced badly. Mine has a thermostat mod triple layer gasket and steel pins in the block.

K series has been used to rally too and went into a great many cars other than freelanders.

Karpman

I run an x-reg 5 door td4 'freebie' with 117k on the clock and love the little truck. Changed the vcu and crank case breather last week so hopefully no mech issues in the future.Its booted with Insa dakas and is great offroad. Rear seats are always folded as i only use it for shooting so plenty of room in the back. Prefer it to my old td5 disco as smaller,lighter and better on tarmac.

The biggest problem with the Freelander is that it has a Landrover badge on it. This means that most people dislike it or are at least wary because it is a Landrover, but other Landrover owners/fans slag them off because they're not a real Landrover. Lose Lose situation.

If you look at the unbiased reliability stats from warranty companies, they aren't at the top of the 4x4 tables - but they certainly aren't at the bottom either.

Would be interesting to see how they were perceived if they had a different badge.

Edit: similarly I think LR would have been wise to change the name for the Freelander 2. It immediately got tarred with the same brush even though there isn't any component common between them.

Edited by HW682

I got some stick when I first got mine as being a "pretend" landrover and all the problems associated with them, but in all honesty get a good one and sort out the gasket and thermo probs and they are good little motors! sunroof packed in and boot well gets water logged but I can live with that, common faults along with the engines, Coming from defenders and county's etc they are a strange little breed but since I just don't need the big old girls anymore and the Mrs can handle the freelander better I got used to it and I has served us well enough & been reliable too!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Mine threw its guts up and whilst having a heart attack dropped its guts all over my drive at 130,000 btw it was a TD4 too -

Seriously though in one week it lost the injectors, crank pulley wore loose and it did its gasket, I was very sad to see it go.... Had it for years and with a lift and muddies it went anywhere a defender would and did 38mpg!

I run an x-reg 5 door td4 'freebie' with 117k on the clock and love the little truck. Changed the vcu and crank case breather last week so hopefully no mech issues in the future.Its booted with Insa dakas and is great offroad. Rear seats are always folded as i only use it for shooting so plenty of room in the back. Prefer it to my old td5 disco as smaller,lighter and better on tarmac.

Mr Trigger.

Could you please tel us more about the VCU. Cost and where from etc

Bryan.