old cartridges

Got some old ones here myself, just wondering if they are safe or I should dispose of them. All 12g, cardboard; 2 x Eley "rockets" (6 and 7), 5 x Eley alphamax BB, a Hull cartridge co no5, a Purdey's special, 2x Eley 70mm and another 70mm no id, and an 1 3/4 eley no6 if anyone is interested?

ive thought about collecting okd shells a few times how would you start into ? sorry to hijack your thread

To start collecting ask around and see if you can find any paper cartridges, there are a lot of very nice paper crimps still about for not a lot of money, serious collectors only collect paper rto usually ironmongers or village gunmakers but can get very costly if buying them, asking your mates and the older generation usually finds a few freebies, feel free to ask for any advice

Bob

I,ve got about 30 of old paper cased shells mostly rto , did,nt think they did a crimped paper case , looking for some local(to me) ironmonger and animal feed cases

did have some from a local gunshop that had been loaded for him but shot them all off (did,nt think about collecting then ) my oldest ones are from around 1940 .

Where are you based? Might be able to help, pm me, I have loads of swaps etc, would also be nice to see what you have in the rto`s.

Paper crimps started after the rto`s finished about 1964 and continued to the mid 1970`s some later than that.

Bob