New to pigeon shooting

b73r

Hi mate,

Obiously youll need a gun. I would suggest a cheap three shot auto and if you get into the sport work your way up. I would advise not splashing out cash on everything that comes to mind.

Start with some basic decoys, hide, net poles, and if you think pigeon shooting is some thing you see your self doing on a weekly basis then look further into the range of decoying equipment. ( whirly birds, Ect... )

Don't let a few bad days put you off, everyone has the days when the pigeons just will not decoy and arent interested in anything you present.

As above have said, the key items are a gun (and LOTS of cartridges), decoys, hide poles and a net.

Hide poles can be cheap or expensive and yes some may say you get what you pay for I however spent 6£ on a pack of 10 green plastic coated bamboo sticks, a pack of hooks and some time (30mins) drilled a small pilot hole and screwed in a hook about 3/4 on each stick and this allowed me to attach the net easily. Use a Dibber from poundland and a rubber mallet from pound land to make holes for the poles if the ground is exceptionally hard (not that that's a problem with the way fields are at the minute,)

I think it is well worth making your own poles for the mean time and then once you get more established/experienced fork out the money for a decent set if your using them a lot. eBay have some good Camo Nets which are worth a look.

Decoy wise I have 6 shells, 6 Full body, A Flapper and 2 Mag Pies. Seems to work ok for me.

Keep an eye on eBay and Gumtree for people selling gear and you might get a few real good bargains.

Good Luck

There is a starter kit on ebay matey it will get you out on the field and you can add more as you go along .I always find buying bits and dabbs costs you more in the long run or like some one said above look for second hand .Im always buying and trying diffrent things to see if they work better anyway lol.The one thing i am finding works realy well is the foam wings on a decoy with a bouncer but use fishing line tied to the end of the bouncer and on to the decoy have it about 3ft long it looks realy good in the wind i use four and it pulls them in realy well .I only brought one set of foam wings the others i made out of laminate underlay foam what i had left over i also make the crow wings out of it .sorry for banging on so much lads and going off the topic a bit but try it out it works well.... :good:

• 3 weeks later...

as mentioned above WARM CLOTHING at the mo' plenty of layers that you can take off&put on i prefer.better to have it&not need it than need it& not have it!!!,i've only been doing it a year&not a brilliant permission but some days i can bag a few&i only have basic stuff about a dozen shell decoys 1 crow &half a doz' full body,ex mod cammo net doubled over on home made(washing line prop) poles..Whatever ya do ,enjoy it& be safe!!!

Assuming you have some land to shoot on?

I would also add:

Insurance

Lots of fieldcraft - you can have all the kit and toys in the world but if you are setting up in the wrong place youwon't see much.

There has been a mention of needing loads of catridges - if you don't see any pigeons you won't need many at all!

You've got to be in the right place and attract the pigeons or it can get a little frustrating.

Good luck with it.

it is a bit like fishing all the gear but no fish so what i am trying to say is some days you will get loads of birds yet another day you might not see any birds but dont give up and find someone on here that has been at it for years let them shoot with you to see where you are going wrong and there are plenty of good people on here use their knowlage as it could be a small thing you do wrong like stop as you are following a bird or trying to shoot birds to close as well as decoy patterns the help is on this site just ask but good luck and keep at it put the time in