How do i knowif my beretta is steel proofed?

They are steel proofed, but not magnum steel proofed and they don't have the fluer de lys stamp.

That I don't understand... It is either steel proof or not...if it is a 3" chamber it should be HP steel proof there are no special proof requirements for steel loads not classed as HP. BASC has a good article on its website.

It's all to do with CIP regulations.

According to the CIP, Standard Steel cartridges can be fired through any gun proofed to the standard or magnum level for lead as long as it is choked appropriately.

However high Performance steel can only be fired through guns that have the fluer de lys stamped on it.

So bearing these regulations in mind Beretta state that any of its multichoke guns therefore are standard steel proofed as long as the choke in the end has SP stamped on it.

But their fixed choke guns, using tighter than 1/2 choke or the old Mobilchoke pre SP stamp cannot be used for steel.

The guns might well withstand the high performance steel but without the stamp it's against regulations. Seeing as Beretta have to pay extra to the proof house for the stamp they don't bother knowing you can still use standard steel without it.

That I don't understand... It is either steel proof or not...if it is a 3" chamber it should be HP steel proof there are no special proof requirements for steel loads not classed as HP. BASC has a good article on its website.

It doesnt have to be steel proofed if it has a 3" chamber. Steel proof is 1370 bar and there are plenty of 3" guns that are only proofed to 1200 bar.

It has got a 3" chamber

It will still be ok for standard steel with a 3" chamber just not HP steel.

On the standard steel shot cartridge box it will just say "steel shot" this cartridge is ok through your gun.

On HP steel shot box it will say "Only for use in weapons designed to fire steel shot cartridges and bearing the Steel Shot proof mark" this is not ok through your gun unless you have the 3 feathers mark on the barrel.

Beretta tend not to proof their guns and stamp them with the Fleur De Lys, but they are proof tested in Italy to 1370 (i think, might be 1390) bar which is the burst test proof for HP Steel and then marked accordingly.

Interestingly, the Gamebore Mammoth 3" steel i used last year had a warning printed on them saying only to use them in guns with the FDL proof mark, the latest ones i have got have a different wording saying they should only be used in guns proofed to 1370 bar.

It's all to do with CIP regulations.

According to the CIP, Standard Steel cartridges can be fired through any gun proofed to the standard or magnum level for lead as long as it is choked appropriately.

However high Performance steel can only be fired through guns that have the fluer de lys stamped on it.

So bearing these regulations in mind Beretta state that any of its multichoke guns therefore are standard steel proofed as long as the choke in the end has SP stamped on it.

But their fixed choke guns, using tighter than 1/2 choke or the old Mobilchoke pre SP stamp cannot be used for steel.

The guns might well withstand the high performance steel but without the stamp it's against regulations. Seeing as Beretta have to pay extra to the proof house for the stamp they don't bother knowing you can still use standard steel without it.

:good: :good: :good:

mines a 686 whitewing no fleur de lyes but ive seen posts in wildfowling someones happily using steel no 3 through theirs .looks like im gonna be googling italien proof marks to be sure :good:

I shoot the biggest 3" steel loads avalible through a 3" chambered Remington 11-87 which is not steel shot proofed. I never had any problems.