Trouble with my Jimny heating...

wannabe_keeper

Not very happy with myself today. I think I've ruined my Jimny. Basically I haven't had it long and when I first got it obviously did all the engine checks and have done once a month through the winter. However the other day the engine management light came on and my heating in the jimny stopped working which I though odd. Took a look under the bonnet and the coolant tank was empty! I dunno how it had emptied so quick! Anyway I cleaned all the bottle out and topped it up along with filling the rad up with coolant.

I ran my jeep for 20 min to warm up and pump it through a bit. The temp gauge goes up nice and quick and sits in the middle where it should. I can feel obvious heat from the engine with bonnet up but still no heat through vents inside. I checked the oil and doesn't seem to be any browny liquid to suggest head gasket damage but there was quite a bit of gunk in the coolant bottle and small amounts in the rad. The engine is running sweet and idles well and drives as good as ever so no obvious damage yet!?

Any suggestions on whether I've ******** it and/or how to sort the heating? Should I do a full flush/change of both coolant and oil ASAP?

My heater in jimny hasn't worked.for ages bud.

They are really famous for it mate. It will either an air lock, need to run it up and on bleed screw. Also make sure header on right hand aide odd engine bay is full.

Or the matrix is sludgged up so no coolant passing threw it. Needs stripping out and flushing threw. But its a horrific job to change. Hence why I've not bothered doing it. And im a ex technician!!!

Or simple fix when.u sit in drivers seat where your left foot is, there is the heater box with reg heat flap is. Make sure its connected and.not been.kicked off. Work heat control and you will see.

Hope that helps.

The blowers are working but only blowing cold air on hot and cold settings. What is this heater metrix/matrix you talk about?

Def not the cream coloured regulator arm as i check this and its all connected and moves in sync with the hot/cold dash adjuster.

What are the chances of head gasket damage? Thats my main concern as i dont mind living without a heater for a while i just hope the coolant running out hasnt f*&~#d it!?

Oil level is good and a good colour so seems to be no water in oil but there is a bit of sludge/gunk in the rad which is worrying me!?

But as ive said no change in the Jimny's driving or running as yet?!

Spose a bleed of the rad and topping up to see if the oily sludge returns would see if oil is getting into the water.

:(

Might not be oil getting in buddy. The sludge is normally from.cooling system itself. Old rust etc..My coolant runs pretty clear. Matrix is so blocked that coolant doesn't go anywhere it.

Jimnys are very well known for this mate.

Give system good bleed if all air clears ok then almost certain its blocked bud.

To remove it, is entire dash, heater motor and box out. Should really do mine but cant be *****!!!

Run it up feel the pipes. Trace all the water hoses and make sure the heat is getting round easy to do. Especially feel the pipes going in and out of the bulk head to the matrix.

Should give you an answer fairly quickly if you have a blockage.

The fact your management light came on and ya have lost/used water is a little worrying mind.

Karpman

Do what I did on my Pajero to clear the heater matrix, chuck some mr muscle down the inlet and outlet matrix hoses, leave for 20-30mins, flush THOROUGHLY through top up coolant system and jobs a good-un. After a week or 2 give get some rad flush in there and you should be sorted.

If the "check engine" light is still on the o2 sensor may be blocked up.

Its the little pin thing that sticks out of the manifold/ start of the exhaust system.

I expect the gauze are blocked up, give it clean or a good blast off with a hose pipe.

As for no heating, id start by changing the coolant, flushing the system and rad.

Edited by chrispti

Had the thermostat out and boiled it up in a pan and it opened lovely so no issues with that. Only thinking now is the heater matrix then as you guys mentioned.

Ran the jeep again for 20 minutes, it hasn't leaked any coolant from rad or bottle overnight. Started and ticked over well, smoke cleared after 10 min as usual, engine heater nicely after about 10 min needle settles just above halfway.

Coolant colour still looks good as does the oil.

Might have just got away with it. Big job for the matrix I'm guessing so a 12v ciggie heater off eBay for £10 is in order me thinks!

Yep the matrix is a huge job. gotta pull all of dash out. As i said before bud. I shouldn't worry about head gasket from what you've said nothing to indicate that.

Almost guarantee matrix is blocked. I spent good half hour looking at easier way of pulling matrix out and im afraid there doesn't appear to be.

There's fair few old boys on jimny forum driving about with 12v heater!!!

Water pump or rad leaking when system is up to pressure.

Find were you are losing water from and fix it.

Then re-fill and bleed the system with the engine running and up to temp.

Find the inlet and outlet pipes to the heater box and see if they both get hot.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

HI BUDDY, CHECK THE WATER PUMP! EASIEST WAY IS REMOVE THE PIPE TO THE MATRIX AND RUN THE ENGINE SEE IF THERE IS ANY PRESSURE OR GOOD FLOW IF THERE IS CONNECT A HOSE PIPE TO THE DISCONNECTED PIPE AND REMOVE THE OTHER SIDE AND TRY AND FLUSH ANY **** THROUGH I DID THIS TO MINE LAST YEAR, BEEN SWEET EVER SINCE

MECHANIC2009

Airlock best way to fill the coolent is to have it vacuum filled best to find out if your local garage has a vac fill system.

Shouldnt be too expensive i would say around £50 including antifreeze thats what we would charge at ouf garage.

If after having it vac filled heater still cold i would guess headgasket failure thats putting exhaust gasses into the coolent system and airlocking everytime .

If you cant vac fill then open coolent vent screw make sure heater is in the hot position, fill untill water starts comming from the vent then close it quickly then top up to correct level.

Leave cap off run engine and keep blipping acelerator this normally brings any air to the top.

Turn off let it cool down with cap still off and when cool check level top up if necessary put cap on and try it

Hope its ok