Ratcatcher

mad1

Hi all ...

Does anyone use a ratcatcher on here ? My son is wanting one more for plinking than anything else ( he also has a BSA tactical xl .177)

How much can I expect to pay for one and what caliber are they ? Many thanks

M1

Edited by mad1

Have a look on GUNSTAR there`s loads on there. www.gunstar.co.uk

One on the other day with scope and silencer for £90.

Same has the Crosman 2240 pistol with a longer barrel and stock.

The pistol dose around 5.5 ftlb. Ratcatcher around 10 ftlb on a warm day less when cold.

You will get around 40 to 50 shots out of each powerlet cylinder.

They are very tunable loads of brass custom bits out there and power adjusters.

Have a look on YOU TUBE there`s loads of vids on tuning Ratcatcher`s.

Have a look at www.airgunpellet.co.uk for powerlet cylinders. pellets.

Have a look at www.jsramsbottom.com for " " " " " " . scopes.

Mc Avoys at Wigan have a mint second hand one with scope and mounts £95. www.guns.gb.com

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Hey Ram.

Ratcatchers ****ty little guns stock, but there are plenty of tweaks, upgrades and custom parts that'll turn it into a brilliant little gun.

If you are going to buy one you'll want to be looking at buying a metal breach rather than the stock plastic one. You have the choice of buying the replacement Steel one that Crossman made, or there are various websites that make them custom. This will allow you to mount a scope as the barrel rails are rubbish and you shouldn't waste your time trying to get any amount of results out of them.

If you want to tune the power to around 11ft/lbs rather than the 8 or so it will be when you get it, you can either going for one (or all) of these opitions

1.) Power adjusters - Tighten the spring for extra hitting power, but make the gun harder to cock. (about £15)
2.) Long barrel - Gives the gas more time to push the pellet out resulting in a few extra fps (About £25)
3.) Custom bolt probe - pushes the pellet a little bit further into the barrel, resulting in a bit of extra power. (£15)
4.) Custom valve:- Redesigned co2 valve resulting in better co2 flow, at the expense of using a lot more gas per shot. Will make the gun about 10.5ft/lbs by itself. (about £50, I only know of one guy who makes them in the states)

Another opition is to buy the Ratcatcher replacement, the Crossman 2400kt (Same gun, better parts)- Though I don't know if they sell them in the UK at all, or even if it fires under 12ft/lbs.

Edited by Bleeh

What about a rabbit stopper Ive never had one or used one but it looks to be slightly better than the ratcatcher. Maybe some one can correct me or confirm it but its something else to think about.

I'd stay away from the Rabbitstopper. It's the same as a Rat-catcher only a bit more power but it still has all the same issues with ****ty breaches and **** parts. If you wanted something like that I'd go for the superior (and cheaper) SMK qb78

I wouldnt have a co2 powerd rifle for any serious hunting as the power goes up and down with temperature which I would have thought will effect your scope zero but im sure they're good fun for plinking and ratting.

Pretty much, but they are cheap and don't really deserve all the flack that they are given. They have a niche, where small light guns that don't want much cocking (Great for kids) are handy.