Rifle reloading

No one British guy with connections at HQ warned us, the Americans totally slated him on the net and now its happened- REF vhit powders.

The only thing that seems to be official (ie; from the company) is that they are either closing or selling a specific factory (the one in Vihtavuori) because of the fall off of military contracts. They have not said that the powders are actually going out of production, as far as I'm aware.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

There is absolutely no guarantee that reloading will produce better ammunition than factory. People make wonderful claims for their reloads but never tell you about all the rejects and the failures,the time and money spent testing and evaluating loads etc. If you want to treat it as a hobby then fine, its a great hobby

There is absolutely no guarantee that reloading will produce better ammunition than factory. People make wonderful claims for their reloads but never tell you about all the rejects and the failures,the time and money spent testing and evaluating loads etc. If you want to treat it as a hobby then fine, its a great hobby

There is some facts hidden in there some wont believe. Working up an 87 grn .243 load recently all stages produced sub 1/2 moa so far at 200yds, guess what the last factory I tried through this gun did basically the same 70 grn nosler b/tip Fedral v-shok. Quality factory takes some beating, though is rarely as fast as it states on the box and you cannot change the performance to fit with purpose

Edited by kent

i used factory ammo in my .22-250 and couldn't get it below 1.5" group at 100yrds no matter what ammo i use and i tried a lot......I now reload and can get sub .5" or better. i suspect it didnt like the jump from case to lands and im getting 3570fps with 55grn vmax and varget powder.

therefor this is one case where you can get better reloaded ammo

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it :good:

I managed off the bipod a 3/4" group at 120 yards sighting in the other day,(admittedly in good conditions). I think I could take this down to 1/2" at 100 with practice.

Having given it some thought, I think I'll look into reloading anyway. I can load up rounds which I know are consistent and tailor them to the rifle. Ill just not expect a massive improvement in groups.

Taken a few corvids with the .250 at around the 150 mark recently,(not far I know). All I can say is wow!

Just dont expect cheap ammo straight away, The layout cost for reloading equipment defies that. if you dont mind spending on equipment or can find some secondhand gear then its a new part to your hobby which can lead to big grins as im now finding with my ackley hornet build.

i used factory ammo in my .22-250 and couldn't get it below 1.5" group at 100yrds no matter what ammo i use and i tried a lot......I now reload and can get sub .5" or better. i suspect it didnt like the jump from case to lands and im getting 3570fps with 55grn vmax and varget powder.

therefor this is one case where you can get better reloaded ammo

I should have liked too see that theory proved by altering the COL of some factory, its possible if your chamber is slightly out to the bore but there is also an important psychological aspect to home loads. You believe therefore it will, you don't believe therefore it wont! A big factor when we are talking 1/60th of a degree movement at the shooters end between those groups

it wouldnt group with factory ammo and it wasnt just me who tried to get a good group out of it. it got to a point where i though there was an issue with the gun,i built some loads for it now she shoots sweet but i found the faster i push it the the tighter the group but with 36grn varget im allready over the recommended limit but with no signs of pressure and 3570fps and less than .5 groups there is no reason to strive for better.

Oh Vince, I will tell you the only tool that gets more service than my bullet seating die is my bullet puller.LOL At times I may have a bunch loaded and start experimenting more and find a better shooting load.

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it :good:

I managed off the bipod a 3/4" group at 120 yards sighting in the other day,(admittedly in good conditions). I think I could take this down to 1/2" at 100 with practice.

Having given it some thought, I think I'll look into reloading anyway. I can load up rounds which I know are consistent and tailor them to the rifle. Ill just not expect a massive improvement in groups.

Taken a few corvids with the .250 at around the 150 mark recently,(not far I know). All I can say is wow!

150yds is very good on on crows, dibbing about and constantly moving!

A friend of mine is currently using H322, only about 30grns. The 55grn Combined Techno bullets he uses want to go down the same hole!

Reloading is fun. If you do find yourself with not so good components don't worry, they make a great excuse to load them and have a plink. I use them up for off hand shooting believing if I can respectfully shoot my rifles off hand un-aided it is time and money well spent.

My friend mentioned just has taken plenty of deer with the above mentioned bullets and I have witnessed the Sierra gamekings wanting to deflect off foxes at 22-250 speeds. Don't misunderstand me, they are good bullets! I mean the critter (deer) has to be square on and poked through the ribs (IMO) for a reliable kill.

Don't discount the 40grainers, flat as a witches,,,,,, booby and quick as lightening (nearly).

H4895 makes a good 22-250 powder, actually there are quite a few other choices from the popular ones. BL-C2 is a forgiving powder for instance. The non-popular are usually a couple of quid cheaper too!

If you like shooting your rifle you will like reloading for it.

Have fun.

U.