L200 chassis

jonesbach

Most get a heavy duty under spray with a textured finish, seems some manufacturers skimp on this Mercedes always seem to rust quite young for some reason, landrovers go very rotten in bits due to collection of muck ones near the coast will be worse look further in land

Edited by HDAV

the trouble is there cheap tat really but we pay high price as so many people like them as just a car shopping cart etc ,similar thing with landrovers theyve got a bit of a cult following look at the price defenders make 1986 trucks go for £3000 silly really but as they say thats life

True. It's a pity the extra time isn't spent on a wax oil on the underside. The one I've seen was from Chester, not quite on the coast but maybe I'll hint in the midlands more!

There is a big salt mine in cheshire and a lot of salt in the ground...... I saw an ex british salt truck once the only intact bits were the GRP cab panels............

Bear in mind the thickness of the chassis box section a lot will be just surface rust just have a close look. Even my old one that was a hire vehicle and abused severely a good clean down and wax oil and you would never have known as it was just surface

Mines had extensive repairs by the previous owner, rear crossmember still had sticker on it but I don't like the look of his welding……….looks like a pigeons **** on it, poor effort!

Its gone from a small rebuild to a ground up one! But getting there haha

I put a galv chassis on a Series 2a that I had a few years back, was spot on. Mind you, I had another Series 2a that had a Marsland painted chassis replacement around 10 yeas ago and was still spot on.

Mercs suffered badly from rust a few years back. The worst recent period was from 1995-2005. This coincided with the introduction of regulations that forced manufacturers to move to water-based paint from solvent(?)-based paint. This exposed existing Mercedes weaknesses due to the steel they used, the way it was shaped and their rust-proofing practices. The steel didn't have enough nickel, many panels had sharp edges (providing a place for the rust to get started) and rust-proofing tended to be in the wrong places (for instance at the top of the wing rather than near the arch). I don't know anything about the contribution of wheel arch liners.

Since 2005 all Mercedeses (correct plural?) have been galvanised. Which sounds great but my understanding is that Mercedes have never told anyone where the galvanising is. So, maybe not so good.

My father in law has worked as a panel beater for major manufacturers for 45 years. The Merc's gave them so much warranty work for rust repairs they were booked 3 months in advance.

He has done quite a bit of work on L200's of late, he has one on at the mo, 05 plate, plenty of work to keep him busy for a week or so in repairs! Apparently they have very little in the way of rust protection body work wise.

Jonathan