What's involved, air rifle fac?

Axeman1984

Hi guys I'm sure this has been asked before but maybe you'd be kind enough to humour me, I'd like to have my air rifle possibly cranked up in power above the 12Lb limit, now I know I'd need to be granted a firearms licence first, now all I want it for is my air rifle I'm not interested in getting a full blown rifle at this point in time, so what's the process? And if I was to be granted a licence for air rifle use is it the same as a full blown rifle and until I've got an open ticket I can only shoot it on land pre approved by the police or is it down to my discretion? This probably holds no bearing but just for your info I've held a shotgun certificate for over 10 years now, thanks for your time guys...

Hi paul thanks for the reply, So what your saying is unless i was one of the very lucky few, if i was to apply and be granted a licence it won't be down to my discretion where I shoot the gun it would have to be on only pre approved land? Because I've got a 2500 acre permission and there's just no way I'm gonna take the plod all over that, ill just give the whole thing a miss I think...

Because I've got a 2500 acre permission and there's just no way I'm gonna take the plod all over that, ill just give the whole thing a miss I think...

Well the application for FAC is the same for all FAC's. you don't take the FEO to the permission they check it and inform you of the calibre at 2500 acres I would expect it to be already cleared for some calibres. If applying for FAC air only you may get an open cert for air from the off. Speak to the FEO

Edited by HDAV

If you have 2500 acres, call the local FEO give hime the address of he farm and land owner, he should be able to tell,you over the phone weather the land has already been passed for fac. If so they will tell you to what caliber.

If the land is passed for let's say .30 cal it does not mean you will automatically be given a 308. But even if the land is only passed for a .22 CF, I wouldnt think you would have a problem with a FAC air rifle.

I can remember when I first applied for my FAC air rifle 20+ years ago, the FEO came out to see the farm and told me not to bother with an air rifle. When my cert came through it had .22 FAC air, .22 RF, .223 and .243. God times have changed.

Andrew

The farmer who owns the land shoots muntjac and roe deer when he can be bothered and has quite an extensive rifle collection so the land has been given the thumbs up at some point, but he's old now and really can't be ***** with shooting at all to be honest, plus luckily for me he is a paranoid ol ****** his boys all ****** off to london, and there's only a handful of us he lets shoot on his land, that's only because he knows our fathers, and I just fancied cranking the air rifle up a knotch so I can whack a few bunnies from a bit further away, so just to clarify even if I did get an open ticket with this amount of land to shoot on, with an fac can you only ever shoot on approved land then? Or is it then upto the individual to make the call when and where once there granted an open ticket?

On an open cert you deicde if it safe to use said calibre, closed cert FEO will limit calibre but still up to you to make sure every shot you take is safe, I would be looking at .22RF .17HMR, FAC air and possibly something fox worthy perhaps a .223 or .243 but thats just me it is a lot of hassle just to have a 16ft/lbs springer but thats the rules...............

Edited by HDAV

Hi had my FAC through a couple of months ago, I have to ring the FAO when I get new land to shoot over, and he either say yes or no once he has surveyed the land. I only had 1 piece of land he had to look round, all the rest was all ready passed. I would say the land you are going to shoot over is passed and you will have no problem. But I would say your license will be closed for 5 years good luck

ATB

Ashley

Hi had my FAC through a couple of months ago, I have to ring the FAO when I get new land to shoot over, and he either say yes or no once he has surveyed the land. I only had 1 piece of land he had to look round, all the rest was all ready passed. I would say the land you are going to shoot over is passed and you will have no problem. But I would say your license will be closed for 5 years good luck

ATB

Ashley

Licence will only be closed for 5 years if you dont bother requesting it be opened !

Well I took your advice boys my paperwork is all filled out, just gotta get me photos done and signed by my referees and I'm throwing my hat in the FAC ring, turns out the 2500 acres I've got permission on is cleared for right upto a 308, so I've put in for FAC air rifle .22 rim fire and a 243 for shooting foxes and muntjac, just gotta stand back and see what happens now I guess, I only wanted the FAC air but thought I'd try my luck at getting a couple of rifles on there In case I want one at a later date...

I was told by my neighbour who's into his guns to stick 17hmr on the application as well, he says it will shoot flatter than the 22 and less chance of ricochet, should i choose to get one at a later date, should i even be granted a ticket that is!! is that correct and good advice or not?

PRetty good the .17HMR is flatter and better at range but the light bullet is effected by wind etc more than a .22 you may struggle to justify so many "small vermin" guns FAC Air, .22LR and 17HMR but the slots are free at grant. Some people use .17HMR for days and .22LR as dedicated NV lamp shooting.

The .17 is a great round,theres so much pleasure in seeing a crow explode 150 yards away when it thinks it is safe.But in my humble opinion the .22 lr will clear rabblts faster nine times out of ten-the use of subsonic rounds,that match any FAC air and are quieter,makes the round a bunnies worst nightmare.

So here it is I scrubbed the 243 off the application, in reality I'm never going to want anything no where near that big, I've put in for FAC air rifle, .22LR and .17HMR, references all sorted, photos done and signed, everything's ready to put in the post first thing, wish me luck!

Yeah but you was saying they would most lightly put a "mentor" restriction on a 243, well although the guy who owns the land could go down as a mentor he has absolutely no interest in shooting anymore, hence why I'm left to my own devices, and I would imagine he ain't gonna be keen to sit there watching me shoot when he can be busy with the farm, plus I highly doubt I'd ever commit to buying one even if I had the option...