Problem with zeroing

Reece

I've been trying to zero an air rifle. I aim at the target, and all pellets go quite far right of the target (I'd guess between 5 and 8 cm right), and up a bit as well.

I've adjusted the sights, but the pellets keep hitting in roughly the same place, right and up. I keep adjusting the sights, the pellets hit in the same area all the time.

I'm going to keep practicing to find out what's causing this, but in the meantime, does anyone here have any ideas?

I've had someone else do it and they get the same results, so I wouldn't think my shooting is the problem.

Edited by Reece

What rifle is it? Does it have a moderator fitted - pellet could be clipping the baffles in the mod. If it's a springer and you are holding it too tightly or using a a bipod then it will become inaccurate as the rifle needs to be able to move to allow it to recoil.

Are you squeezing the trigger properly? Snatching it will pull you off. Have you run out of adjustment on your scope? If you have you may need to shim to scope (old photo negative is food for this).

As said it could be pellets hitting a baffle in the silencer if you have one , doubt its your shooting if they are grouping .

Try swapping the mounts around front to back and the screws on the opposite side to where they are now .

If none of that works your sight could well be broken.

What rifle is it? Does it have a moderator fitted - pellet could be clipping the baffles in the mod. If it's a springer and you are holding it too tightly or using a a bipod then it will become inaccurate as the rifle needs to be able to move to allow it to recoil.

Are you squeezing the trigger properly? Snatching it will pull you off. Have you run out of adjustment on your scope? If you have you may need to shim to scope (old photo negative is food for this).

It's a BSA springer, not sure exact make.

We removed the moderator because it kept coming loose and wouldn't tighten up and stay tight.

I had my dad try it out as well, and he's much more experienced than I am, and he got the same result, so I don't think it's my shooting that's the problem.

Good point about running out of adjustment on the scope, didn't think of that.

Hi Reece - Sounds like a scope problem to me. What you need to do is use some sort of steady or rest for the rifle - Clamping it in a workmate would do. When you have the rifle fixed look thorough the scope and wind the turrets - right the way in then out and do the same for the elevation - You should see the image move all the time you are adjusting the scope, when the image stops moving you are at the end of your scopes adjustment, if this is not enough then you will need to play around with the mounts.

The mounts can be shimmed with something like a strip of card from a cornflake packet. Shimming up the back of the scope will give you more elevation. You may try changing you mounts round 180 degrees and also swap front to back. - Once you get knack it falls into place.

Have a quick look at this video - It's my .22 rifle but you might find it useful.

Is the barrel loose were it breaks.

Is the Rifle a break barrel.

Give the barrel a good clean.

Check the crown of the barrel if it`s damaged it will never be accurate till it`s re-crowned.

If the gun still has it`s open sights try it with out the scope.

Have you checked if the mounts are tight and not loose.

Has said above try changing the mounts around.

If your pellets are very old and Oxidized or nasty spitfires it will not be accurate.

From what you have said I would look at your scope mounts and the scope to start with.

Good luck.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Every thing Reece is saying here says it's a scope problem, not a rifle/shooter/pellet problem - All the shots are going a little high and right no matter what he does with the sights or who shoots it, he gets the same results. Other things may cause open groups, for example poor or unsuitable pellets, misaligned moderator or even a loose barrel but when the sights are cranked across the "group" should move - If not, either the scope has run out adjustment for some reason or the internals of the scope have come adrift - This is quite unusual with even low-end modern scopes.

There are several reasons why the scope may have run out of adjustment, for example the barrel may not be aligned with the receiver or the dovetail not cut true but most probable cause is the mounts - I think this problem could easily be sorted without spending any money.

What you really need to be working on is getting those groups tight - It doesn't really matter if they are on target until you get to hunting with it. Getting all the shots in the same hole is good shooting - placing that hole in the centre of a target is a minor problem.

I've been trying to zero an air rifle. I aim at the target, and all pellets go quite far right of the target (I'd guess between 5 and 8 cm right), and up a bit as well.

I've adjusted the sights, but the pellets keep hitting in roughly the same place, right and up. I keep adjusting the sights, the pellets hit in the same area all the time.

I'm going to keep practicing to find out what's causing this, but in the meantime, does anyone here have any ideas?

I've had someone else do it and they get the same results, so I wouldn't think my shooting is the problem.

I'm going to try and adjust the sights in the opposite direction and see what happens. If the group moves when I adjust the sights one way but not the other way, then it'll mean the sights have ran out of adjustment. If it doesn't move when I adjust them either way then the sights are broken and I need another one. I need the wind to die down a bit though, I don't have any indoors areas where I can zero the rifle. I'll try that, that should give me an idea of what's going wrong.