Rat Baits

dibbz2000

Hi all, Ive just bought a couple of live rat traps as the little bu**ers are comin into our garage from the yard and going up into my mums new mini and chewing the wires (already muched thorugh the brake pad inicator wire!) But im not sure what to bait them with, ive heard about penut butter, but I tried that over the summer with the airgun without much success!

Any help appreciated! :good:

Hi all, Ive just bought a couple of live rat traps as the little bu**ers are comin into our garage from the yard and going up into my mums new mini and chewing the wires (already muched thorugh the brake pad inicator wire!) But im not sure what to bait them with, ive heard about penut butter, but I tried that over the summer with the airgun without much success!

Any help appreciated! :good:

Never trapped rats but Dad used to use a well buttered bit of bread. Got good results. also heard of chocolate and peanutbutter like you said.

Over here, we use a poison called STORM. :lol:

Kills them dead. :)

Dont know if you have it over their?

But, only problem being, they go off and die somewhere, where you cant get them and they stink ;)

Air rifle sniping, live catch traps, a good second option. :good:

Peanut Butter for bait. :lol:

Frank.

My wife found a rat in the kitchen last summer, came in through the back door.Iit got under the units and could not be found. I made a live catch trap and baited it with a small bit of bread and jam. I placed the trap along a skirting, shut all the doors a retired to the other end of the house. By 10 oc he was done for. Rats and mice like to run along a wall or similar. Good luck. PS. They do squeal when they know it's all over. DS.

Are you certain its rats? as brake wear indicator wiring can wear through on its own if routed incorrectly!

Otherwise poison but be carefull to keep it well away from children and animals. Any rats you find dead make sure you bin them as they can be toxic to animals afterwards

Anything smelly, ie, catfood, sweetcorn, i like to use food flavourings, strawbery or pear works well mixed with liquidised sweetcorn, or cooked rice, for traps, id poor some sausage fat on the button, so it sets hard and stinks or smeer peanut butter over it ;)

If you are going to shoot them, make sure you liquidise the bait, or theyle be of with lumps :good:

I use Fishing groundbait in my Trap,It smells strong,and is so easy to put in, because you just sprinkle it through the wire mesh,it also stays fresh for ages if the trap is in the dry,

as someone said place your trap along a wall for best results,I like to put a pice of board up the open side and over the top to create a tunnel.

Good luck ,all the best Mick.

a lump of sausage, grilled so its hard works well stuck on a good break back trap or carp bait addatives poured over makes it good an smelly, remembering that rats have neophobia(shyness to new items) so may need to pre bait the trap un set for 7-10 days before seeing results,

the block poison is made that way to be fixed inside a bait station, rat can only eat from the station, and not carry the block off, which could then be dropped outside and poison non target animals, rather that break up a block, just use "deadline" grain bait, same poison but different formula

peanut butter as a formula works great on london underground mice, but not rats