Report it, or keep my nose out?

English archer

Are you guys kidding me, if you put a pitt bull across a lab the resulting pups are no longer pitt bull, and it is not an offence to sell a mongrel.Jeeez its not a Trex crossed with Jeffery Dahmer!

The killer staff histeria on PW is a joke, ignorance personified.

I am with you on this one I am beging to think that quite a lot of people on here are ex trafic wordens Jobsworths the problem is not the dogs but the people who own them I no people who have Labradors that you would not want to get near to so why do we not ban them as well.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself a book called "the staffordshire bull terrier in history & sport"

Staffs and pits were bred to be agressive to ther dogs but NOT people, they quite often had to sleep with the children after a fight to keep warm.

And yes after I knew the Pit I rescued and spent time with it and realised it's temperament I trusted it with my kids 100% as i did with the staff & Boxer I owned at the same time.

This bitch was absolutely fine with the other dogs too, she knew it wasn't fighting time.

Also if you think you can brred out 100's of years of fighting instinct in a few generations you are sadly wrong

I find it a little worrying that anyone trusts any dog 100% with thier kids...I have two soft muppet labs that I have had from pups to now (9 years) but I still wouldn't leave them with my kids and trust them 100%.

Sauer

regardless of my or other peoples views on breed vs owner debate,if it is banned it is banned in my opinion,hopefully these pups will survive with ?restrictions (muzzle,neutered,microchip etc) and make great family pets,but something needs to be done about the owner of the pit! incidently a labXpit may well look very similar to a pitt,it is known for undesirables to cross 'muscle' breeds with labs to get a dog that 'looks' like a pitt,

My thinking is why would people, knowing pitts are banned (whether i agree is a different topic) would choose to own one risking their beloved pet being destroyed when found out?does this show they care for their dog?i think not

Imho, its got ****** all to do with breed. People are always looking for somewhere to point the finger and its the easier option to blame a defenceless animal who knows no better. If this women is illegaly breeding she should be punished, no doubt about it. However, i still belive its morally wrong to put down an animal that is so easily trained. If pits can be trained to fight, logic dictates that they can also be trained the other way...

I find it a little worrying that anyone trusts any dog 100% with thier kids...I have two soft muppet labs that I have had from pups to now (9 years) but I still wouldn't leave them with my kids and trust them 100%.

Sauer

Did I say I left them alone with my kids?

I am with you on this one I am beging to think that quite a lot of people on here are ex trafic wordens Jobsworths the problem is not the dogs but the people who own them I no people who have Labradors that you would not want to get near to so why do we not ban them as well.

The trouble with that is i rekon if push come to shove i could give a labrador a good kicking if it was intent on harming me and doing the same to a pitbull is a different story.

All dogs can be dangerous but some breeds have the potential to be lethal and can be encouraged to be so.but I dont buy into the "people who own them " thing as some dogs are just wrong uns pit bull or not.

The trouble with that is i rekon if push come to shove i could give a labrador a good kicking if it was intent on harming me and doing the same to a pitbull is a different story.

All dogs can be dangerous but some breeds have the potential to be lethal and can be encouraged to be so.but I dont buy into the "people who own them " thing as some dogs are just wrong uns pit bull or not.

I've actually seen studies on this and a lab is one of the hardest biting dogs known.

I must say i fink it incredible the number of people that keep comparing taking on a lab and taking on a pitt/staff,iif a lab wants to hurt you it will,i dont know which labs people are looking at but some i have seen have as much muscle tone and are bigger then some 'muscle' breeds,a lab can be just as lethal as other dogs (nothing at all against labs the mothers got a lab and shes alot bigger then my staffie)

Edited by westmids1987

Today while phoning some people selling puppies, I called one woman about a dog advertised as a Labrador/staffie cross.

Once on the phone, she told me it is actually crossed with a pit bull terrier, but put staffie in the advert as selling an unlicensed pit bull is illegal.

She knows what she is doing is wrong, but said she had no option.

Would you report this, or just stay out of it?

Why did you phone for a Lab x staffie, do you actually think it would make a better dog than a Lab x Pit?

I must say i fink it incredible the number of people that keep comparing taking on a lab and taking on a pitt/staff,iif a lab wants to hurt you it will,i dont know which labs people are looking at but some i have seen have as much muscle tone and are bigger then some 'muscle' breeds,a lab can be just as lethal as other dogs (nothing at all against labs the mothers got a lab and shes alot bigger then my staffie)

I wouldnt want to" take on " as you put it, either but a lab does not posses the fight to the death mentality of a pitt bull hence you have a better chance of fighting off a lab. Nothing to do with muscle tone.

I've actually seen studies on this and a lab is one of the hardest biting dogs known.

Way behind rotty ,mastiff, doberman, pitt bull, german shephard.

Just reading back over the thread I find suprising the references to being a grass or traffic wardens, jobs worthy and the like. I mean if OP had turned up to buy a shotgun but got there and it was a illegal sawn off or the person held no SGC. Would you just expect nothing to be said and not report to a FAO. Or a car that was a ringer not to be reported. Yes it's dog but its a banned breed and the woman knew this.

Just reading back over the thread I find suprising the references to being a grass or traffic wardens, jobs worthy and the like. I mean if OP had turned up to buy a shotgun but got there and it was a illegal sawn off or the person held no SGC. Would you just expect nothing to be said and not report to a FAO. Or a car that was a ringer not to be reported. Yes it's dog but its a banned breed and the woman knew this.

I find it surprising that you make that reference.

No one is talking about putting down a litter of shotguns neither

Nat geo did a bite test and labs are not in top 5 ?

Did they test all breeds?

I wouldnt want to" take on " as you put it, either but a lab does not posses the fight to the death mentality of a pitt bull hence you have a better chance of fighting off a lab. Nothing to do with muscle tone.

Way behind rotty ,mastiff, doberman, pitt bull, german shephard.

As said on other topics the 'gameness' of pitts/staffies probably comes from the terrier breed into them,therefore by your reasoning you would prefer (if push comes to shove) to take on a big lab then a small jack russel if its got nothing to do with size/muscle tone,

Recently Every topic to do with 'muscle' breeds soon seems to turn to 'muscle' dog bashing,some of the views expressed on these threads remind me of many debates ive had wiv anti guns,swap 'muscle' breeds with guns and re-read these threads

Apparently

Pitbull pressure bite was 235 lbs

German Shepherd bite was 238 lbs

Bulldog bite was 305 lbs

Wild Dogs bite force was 317 lbs

Rottweiler bite force was 328 lbs

Wolf bite force was 406

Mastiff (test dog was a Dogue de Bordeaux) was 556 lbs

Turkish Kangal was 714 lbs

Labs come in about 220 by all accounts

Pitbull pressure bite was 235 lbs

German Shepherd bite was 238 lbs

Bulldog bite was 305 lbs

Wild Dogs bite force was 317 lbs

Rottweiler bite force was 328 lbs

Wolf bite force was 406

Mastiff (test dog was a Dogue de Bordeaux) was 556 lbs

Turkish Kangal was 714 lbs

Contrary to popular culture, the dog's jaw has a lot to tell about its bite force. The wider the jaw, the stronger the bite. Consequently, the Bulldog (305 lb) has a stronger bite than the German Shepherd (238 lb).

As we enter into the larger breeds with shorter snouts (called brachycephalic molossoid types), we find the strongest among the canine breeds. Simply put, the jaws are wider and stronger in dogs with broad heads.

Think that's the national geo studies. I had read someone had wrote a labs bite force was over 600 (658) and close to a lions bite force of 700 but a mastif is said to be the most powerful bite force of domestic dogs. The above is a cut and paste I don't bite forces off the top of my head I just I would read up :)

As said on other topics the 'gameness' of pitts/staffies probably comes from the terrier breed into them,therefore by your reasoning you would prefer (if push comes to shove) to take on a big lab then a small jack russel if its got nothing to do with size/muscle tone,

Recently Every topic to do with 'muscle' breeds soon seems to turn to 'muscle' dog bashing,some of the views expressed on these threads remind me of many debates ive had wiv anti guns,swap 'muscle' breeds with guns and re-read these threads

As it happens the second worst bite i have ever had was off a jack russel ( the worst being a fox ). If you can't see that a pitt bull has a more deadly potential than a jack russel then you are blind. They may have the same never say die attitude but the jack russel can not do the same damage as a pitt bull because it does not have the size/muscle to go with that attitude where as a pitt bull does.. I am not anti any dog "muscles " or not.

As it happens the second worst bite i have ever had was off a jack russel ( the worst being a fox ). If you can't see that a pitt bull has a more deadly potential than a jack russel then you are blind. They may have the same never say die attitude but the jack russel can not do the same damage as a pitt bull because it does not have the size/muscle to go with that attitude where as a pitt bull does.. I am not anti any dog "muscles " or not.

Maybe your not anti any dog but your not the 1st person on here that seems to think labs cannot be as dangerous as 'muscle' breeds,the worst dog attack i have seen is from a labradoodle vs a grown man,he didnt have a chance save for the owner & bystanders managing to pull the dog off,if you cannot see that other dogs other then 'muscle' breeeds can be as much a danger then you sir are 'blind'

Report it before an unsuspecting person buys one of these cute puppies not knowing what is hidden beneath. This woman sounds like she wouldn't hesitate to sell at any cost and that would include hiding the truth regards the mix.

Good luck to anyone who trusts pits, but first hand experience tells me otherwise.