Ex layers

Yes mate that's wot I'm thinking of doing this year as long as theres plenty of food and water about don't think they will travel to far .a bit of an experiment will just try it with a couple of hundred birds on my little rough shoot and see what the returns are like at the end of the season

Have a good look at them when you release them, lads............. it'll likely be the last look! :yes:

You know it, I know it but some never learn or take advice !!

Quite why people invest so much time, money and energy into their shooting, let alone their expectations, then waste it all by releasing ex layers is beyond me.

Have a good look at them when you release them, lads............. it'll likely be the last look! :yes:

Not in our experience.We've bought ex-layers for the last 3 years now and have just ordered next seasons.Returns are always above average.If they were no good we wouldn't be buying them.

Ex-layers are simple to look after;maybe you're not doing it right. :whistling:

When people hear the word ex-layer 90% probably cringe, the first thing I ask/think are they last years birds caught up who do like to wonder know the score and granted will be gone at the first opportunity.

Then there is the ex-layers that some game farmers rear themselves ie they keep back ex amount of thousands poults which incidentally they rear from, so all these birds know is a pen they have not seen the out side world yet and have not been shot at. These are cracking birds,

In theory you are buying a young adult bird.

Good feed source plenty of water and multi vit and you can not tell the difference.

So if considering ex-layers 100% go for the reared kept back poults.

Edited by waterside

When people hear the word ex-layer 90% probably cringe, the first thing I ask/think are they last years birds caught up who do like to wonder know the score and granted will be gone at the first opportunity.

Then there is the ex-layers that some game farmers rear themselves ie they keep back ex amount of thousands poults which incidentally they rear from, so all these birds know is a pen they have not seen the out side world yet and have not been shot at. These are cracking birds,

In theory you are buying a young adult bird.

Good feed source plenty of water and multi vit and you can not tell the difference.

So if considering ex-layers 100% go for the reared kept back poults.

What he said.

Don't buy caught up birds!