Rope Access!!!

Daz1986

71 k is good earnings, i am not to fussed about huge income or been on anywhere near what i am on now, its just basicaly to get a foot in the door working in the UK again with enough to support my family and enjoy

In my career, rope access in ndt earn big money, especially if your willing to work on the rigs, I have a buddy who earned £71k last year

I looked into it alittle last year, think its hard to get a start with just irata 1. You need something to go with it like ndt or something like paint inspection. Theres a site, google rigg access/rope access.

You could look into windturbine blade repair.

Ive worked on 2 windfarms (ground works) and still dont no what tickets the lads putting them up have, think its more ladder safety than irata.

i have only been looking in to this for a few weeks now and to be fair i am up for doing all it takes to get a start. i will crack on with what i am doing and do free work if its offered just to get the 1000hrs for the irata 2. i am in the middle east for another 11 weeks so have plenty of time to get some foundations set and find a path. i am defo going to look in to all thats said on here and all been well it pays off.

I looked into it alittle last year, think its hard to get a start with just irata 1. You need something to go with it like ndt or something like paint inspection. Theres a site, google rigg access/rope access.

You could look into windturbine blade repair.

Ive worked on 2 windfarms (ground works) and still dont no what tickets the lads putting them up have, think its more ladder safety than irata.

I have three mates (ones and welder, NDT and painter) who are dopes on ropes and my climbing buddy is trying to get into it. With out a trade there isn't much out there Welder,NDT, blaster, sparky so on. Climbing buddies brother does it he did a course called OPITO Application of Non Metallic Insulation Course with his rope course and offshore tickets at a local training centre http://www.aidirect.co.uk/training-courses/opito-insulation-courses I had go at climbing the ropes in the park near mine using the Ascender and shunt gear, dam near killed me not a fit as I thought lol

Edit

All three lads I had mentioned all work off shore or abroad. Not sure if there is much in the uk my climbing buddy (jugz) that's why he's finding it hard for a start as most of it is working away and he has a dog and no one to look after her

Edited by IXI KARL IXI

there is an ex moutaineer called Paul Braithwaite and a chap called Mike Shaw both in the saddleworth area that do verticle access work but i don't know how much they make;. I think the company is called Verticle Access. hope this helps. Just looked it up on the internet and yes Paul still runs the company, don't know if your into legendary mountaineers but when Doug Scott and Dougall Heston climbed Everest the hard way not the tourist route but it was due to Paul Braithwaite cracking the rock band that made the accent possible. from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

I looked at doing it whilst I was into climbing. Best off trying to find a company that's taking on befor you outlay the money for the course.

It used to be run from Leeds climbing wall for about 600 notes. That was many years ago though lol

Good luck Fred ;)

As above really, rope access jobs within the UK are not too common, I have been thinking of going offshore for a while, but too comfortable where I am, money is decent, but not where it could be with my qualifications (ndt), but I'm 19 still living at home, thinking about doing a few years away for when I'm ready for my own pad.

You need to ask that question on the window cleaning forums (Cleanitup is a good one). Search out the companies that clean the big buildings in London. Should pay around £200 to £250 a day. Every big building needs to be cleaned and there is only one way to do it. Lots of it done in London but its not something I have any experience of.

have a look at Total Access and just play around on Goole

Edited by Vince Green

Not so familar with rope acess as it is totally different to ur tree climbing tickets, infact they are completely different skills and methods and use diffent type of ropes.

For ur Tree climbing u really need to do ur basic chainswa tickets first and then do ur climbing course, think both are a 1 week courses. If u decide to do it make sure NPTC ticket and NOT Lantra as NPTC is a professionally recognised ticket and accapted everywhere.

Will be plenty off work around if u know the right people, usually plenty on either railways or Eleccy lines (but it needs an extra power line ticket)+ ur normal house/garden work I thought there would be more money involved with the climbbing but i was better of just working the ground saw, if ur self employed lot of gear to buy and has to be inspected by a LOLER inspector every 3 months now,i think (was every 6 months last time i needed it done)

Best way to start is to get a job as a ground worker first and see wot u think off it, but it will be a bit off cash to lay out in training at the start but possibly a company would put u throu it if ur lucky