Would you pay for shooting? Why or why not?

moeggesit

Would you pay for shooting? Why or why not?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for shooting? Why or why not?

• Would you pay for shooting?
    • Do you refuse to pay for shooting?

It seems to me this is a very open debate situation,

personally I am happy to pay the going rate through membership fees or syndicate rates to enjoy my sport.

I also have free shooting, in the sense that i don’t have to part with cash, however as with most things in life its not really free but a mixed arrangement of mutual friendship, convenience, and favours that are returned and enjoyed between friends and land owners, we all get something positive out of the setup and that suits all fine and dandy.

In terms of paying I voted yes, but it depends upon what your shooting surely. If you are vermin shooting, Pigeon, Rabbit etc, and these are edible it does no harm to offer the farmer/landowner something from the bag, along with a bottle or two at xmas. If they don't know how to prepare it, do it for them or show them how to offering a receipe along the way.

If your after pheasant's, partridges etc, it feels only right to offer something again offering one or two from the bag.

Help out in terms of informing the owner of damaged fences, livestock problems, litter, vandelisim anything that means he feels that you have his interests at heart and not just your own. Help at harvesting time if you can spare time away from the normal mundane work.

Make a friend out of them and don't treat them as the boss, and life will become easier in terms of gaining new permissions.

I had aproblem with the ditch at the bottom of my garden, ( the garden slipping into the ditch). I saw the farmer prepping the field and when he got close enough to the house, I waved and asked him to spare me a minute. We talked about the problem and how to overcome it and what i hoped to do to achieve this. After a while, and a cup of coffee we got onto the subject of pigeons on the fields beyond and i asked whether he had anybody to shoot them. He didn't, I asked whther he would like me to help out and he said yes drop the insurance docs, etc round. Did so two days later, but never heard back from him. Not wanting to pester him, left it and to be honest got busy and never had the time. My fault as i could have had land to shoot at the bottom of my own garden. :good:

We all pay for our shooting in one way or another, whether it is with hard earned cash or a bottle of whisky at Xmas.

We pay for everything else in life so why not shooting? I am a member of a wildfowling club which costs me around 100 pound a year. There are places where I can go wildfowling without being a member of a club.

If you want to go on a driven pheasant shoot it will cost you. I have considered going on some pigeon days with someone like Will Beasley but never seem to have the time at the moment.

Even your beaters day you have paid for in sweat throughout the season.

Did so two days later, but never heard back from him. Not wanting to pester him, left it and to be honest got busy and never had the time. My fault as i could have had land to shoot at the bottom of my own garden. :good:

I'd definitely follow up on that, having left it a little while I think etiquette wise you'd be fine to do this. In truth it might be a misunderstanding, having dropped the documents in he could in all honesty be expecting you to be out there :good:

The worst he can say is no, after all he invited you to do it :good:

i understand both side of this.

i'm always looking for land and asking about. but though who have load don't take others along, or want to share. two farms near me a have the same guy on them who pays for rabbits but won't do foxes but farmer will only let me on to do foxes only.

but i can understand why people pay, i get fustrated asking around and on this site but very little ever come of it. :good::lol: i wouldn't mind paying for the right thing at a suitable cost. i been offered land down south.... which stops the quick nip out a 1hr to 1.5hr either way of barnsley is not bad but northants is too far for a regular thing

the fact is its that hard to come by the land people don't want to take people with them who there not sure of with the risk of them loosing it. :lol::lol: Please need to help more people get involved to create a understanding and keep our sport alive.

soon as something become un acessable it become elitist and then public perception of our sport comes in question

alot of old hand just want it all for there selfs and were the problem is.

why pay?:lol:?:lol:?? don't it cost you enough!!!!

you do them a favour!!! out in all weather keeping under control all the vermin thet cost the farmer £100's if not £1000's a year in destruction of crops / poultry by fox,mink,rabbit,rats,squirrel,crow,rook, etc etc...

it's not like you do it for nothing, with the price of the equiptment,shot,rounds,travel!!!!!! wich is all getting to be the most expensive sport ,there is..

not to mention the security having some one on his land wandering around with a gun!!!

keeping off the theifs..& the general low life!!

& when he wants a nice 1/4 - 1/2 venison,hare ,partrage or a brace of pheasant.......all he got to do is ask!

there is that much land available ,that needs managing correctly..& i do meen correctly..

keeping the balance correct with out an all out masacre,of the mamals/animals.If the land owners are descent , we 'll take good care of it!

FREE... :shout:

NOTE: if they are prepared to stock the land, when it runs low , due to nature,as it some times does & they can garantee food on my table ...paying i may consider

you do them a favour!!! out in all weather keeping under control all the vermin thet cost the farmer £100's if not £1000's a year in destruction of crops / poultry by fox,mink,rabbit,rats,squirrel,crow,rook, etc etc...

it's not like you do it for nothing, with the price of the equiptment,shot,rounds,travel!!!!!! wich is all getting to be the most expensive sport ,there is..

not to mention the security having some one on his land wandering around with a gun!!!

& when he wants a nice 1/4 - 1/2 venison,hare ,partrage or a brace of pheasant.......all he got to do is ask!

there is that much land available ,that needs managing correctly..& i do meen correctly..

keeping the balance correct with out an all out masacre,of the mamals/animals.If the land owners are descent , we 'll take good care of it!

NOTE: if they are prepared to stock the land, when it runs low , due to nature,as it some times does & they can garantee food on my table ...paying i may consider

Seems to me you and some others have got the wrong attitude here 'doing them a favour'. If I said that to any of the farmers I know I'd not be suprised to lose not only that particular permission but any of his friends/neighbours. It's a two way thing, a scratch my back thing AND I personally regard it as a privilege to be allowed to enjoy being out and about where most of joe public never gets to go...on private land!

Seems to me you and some others have got the wrong attitude here 'doing them a favour'. If I said that to any of the farmers I know I'd not be suprised to lose not only that particular permission but any of his friends/neighbours. It's a two way thing, a scratch my back thing AND I personally regard it as a privilege to be allowed to enjoy being out and about where most of joe public never gets to go...on private land!

Well said.

I would be told to **** off by at least two of the farmers where i have permission if i went to them with that attitude, because they know it is so hard to find land and there would a long list of people just itching to get permission.

:lol:

Well said.

I would be told to **** off by at least two of the farmers where i have permission if i went to them with that attitude, because they know it is so hard to find land and there would a long list of people just itching to get permission.

:shout:

depends on what ya wanna shoot, vermin should be free, to dispose of, any vermin!! game ,thats another story !!

yeh you should feel privaliged to walk on & use land thats been probably passed down generations & beautiful to see, but please....no brown tounges ..huh!

it also which side your on....shop floor or management!!

depends on what ya wanna shoot, vermin should be free, to dispose of, any vermin!! game ,thats another story !!

yeh you should feel privaliged to walk on & use land thats been probably passed down generations & beautiful to see, but please....no brown tounges ..huh!

I resent the brown tongue remark! and as for sides, if you feel it's a them and us situation i.e. farmers/landowners and shooters then I'm surprised you ever get to shoot anywhere. You're obviously not of the landowning classes but you feel you've a right to shoot on someone elses property. IMO that's the wrong attitude.

I resent the brown tongue remark! and as for sides, if you feel it's a them and us situation i.e. farmers/landowners and shooters then I'm surprised you ever get to shoot anywhere. You're obviously not of the landowning classes but you feel you've a right to shoot on someone elses property. IMO that's the wrong attitude.

:good:

plenty to be had for free, if you look hard enough. i have taken a good few people out shooting, but looking at your profile i would not think of asking you as i know nothing about you . and maybe ask my self could you be trusted not to try and buy any off my shooting places. by all means pay for it. but where does it end then. rich mans sport.

Was this what you meant by filling in my profile? :rolleyes:

Suggestions welcomed..

I am a semi-pro fisherman, I fish matches on average throughout the year 4 days a week. I pay up to £50 per match of which up to £10 is pegging fees (money to fishery owner), fishing is the most popular participation sport in the UK so you can work out how many fishermen pay for their sport. Having said that shooting has been generally free apart from the shooting syndicates etc, but if paying for your sport gives you pleasure then why not.

I'm not so sure all will agree, but the facts of life are, sometimes you have to pay for what you get.

Ps still looking for some "FREE" shooting in South Yorks.

hi steve.

so your not really paying to fish, your are having a bet on who,s going to win. and the lake owner is the tax man.

Well if you put it like that, I suppose we all get taxed somehow, but we pay the pegging fee which is payment for fishing then pools on top which is like taking a gamble on how good or lucky you are, I must have been lucky!!!! and as for the lake owner, I wish I was one I'll tell you, the tax man has nothing to come.

I'm off in the morning to try my luck again, sooner be shooting lately though.

Oh bye the way I have to declare my winnings too which is a pain.

Have only been shooting now for 6 years, all pest control, all NE Essex,always with a partner.

I have always approached land owners on a purely professional basis, BASC membership, businessards etc and never ever except for areas of game shooting been refused. i think it's pot luck. Also a couple bottles of vintage port never go a miss at Xmas :stupid:

SEEMS 74% OF PEOPLE WITH GUNS ARE DESPERATE TO USE THEM.......

:stupid: OBVIOUSLY GOT SOMETHING WRONG!

BE NICE GUYS..WORK ON THE FARMS FREE, OFFER YOUR WEEKEND S REPAIRING FENCES,COS YOU LOVE IT!!

I DO AS THEY ASK & RID THEM OF VERMIN, IM REFUSING LAND COS I GOT TOO MUCH OFFERED.....BUT IM OUT 3-4 TIMES A WEEK ..NOT ONCE A MONTH!!

• 1 month later...
thanks for your concern NTTF but having lived in the country all my life i've never considered even having that ignorant attitude of 'i'm doing you a favour' you speak of.

I control the pests on peoples land out friendship and of a mutual agreement. I regularly fix damaged fences, rescue stuck sheep etc its part of the unwritten rule of living in the country . By controlling pests and hence being on the land i act as a keeper and an extra pair of eyes, which in a 24/7 job is invaluable. I regularly meet the local farmers at the pub and buy them drinks.....port at christmas....etc

I won't bother going on you understand..........

This is what should happen but unfortunatly both sides of this relation ship fail ,

1 the shooter not doing as told or leavingt hings he or she should repair

2 the land owner not trusting the shooter hence £££/contracts more ££££££

genuine country folk are getting less /the art of fieldmanship is disappearing

Yes i would pay... infact...

I have shot Pheasant and pigeon etc for 15+ years, i have 50+ decoys, netting, magic pigeon flapper etc. Excellent knowledge of patterns etc.

I'm looking for a rough, syndicate or pigeon shooting and will travel anywhere in the UK. I will also be willing to pay well for the chance. I shoot 12, 20 and 410 gauge as well as .22 Air Rifle.

Dogs also available if required.

I also have BASC shooting insurance...

Please bear me in mind...

Rob - 07838 213 ***

Edited by henry d