8x60 Magnum

A bit of an odd one this. Does anyone here shoot an 8x60? I'm about to pick one up and it seems rather a complicated creature to feed, even with home loads. Bullet sizes apparently vary, or at least can be either .318 or .323 without any obvious difference in the markings on older guns. I'm planning on getting a chamber cast of Cerrosafe made so I can measure it, but even then I think dies and brass could be fun to find?

Does anyone here have any leads which may be of use to me? The gun is a drilling so most likely the rimmed variety of the round.

All I knows is;

Thems usually good thumping round in a drilling and I mean at both ends! Tend to be loaded with long heavy bullets!

IIRC the rimmed are standardised with an R added to the cart' size. The rimmed 8mm Mausers are two sizes but the change goes back ages.....was it S and a J denotes the later being .323"????

Will look!

U.

It's all in good nature as nj knows as its a long term well documented medical affliction his inability to use a certain gun for more than a fortnight :lol:

This time sounds more bonkers than usual but personally I'm looking forward to the report on the first mole hunt with it

'Ere - I've had my combi gun for the longest out of all of them! And I said I'd never sell it until I found a decent drilling... Well hopefully I've found one!

I can't really deny that I like a change of scenery on a regular basis. And yes, a few people have had a good deal out of it. Having said that I buy a lot of used guns too and over all I think I make a bit on as many as I lose on. Selling the .17 Hornet would happen simply because I've done the build and shot it, liked it but already spotted something equally as interesting so I may pass it on. I won't make any money on it but I don't plan to lose too much either - buying and selling is all part of the fun and it gives me a good idea what each calibre is capable of.

How can investing in a 100 year old drilling be bonkers? It could well be the best gun I've ever had.

'Ere - I've had my combi gun for the longest out of all of them! And I said I'd never sell it until I found a decent drilling... Well hopefully I've found one!

I can't really deny that I like a change of scenery on a regular basis. And yes, a few people have had a good deal out of it. Having said that I buy a lot of used guns too and over all I think I make a bit on as many as I lose on. Selling the .17 Hornet would happen simply because I've done the build and shot it, liked it but already spotted something equally as interesting so I may pass it on. I won't make any money on it but I don't plan to lose too much either - buying and selling is all part of the fun and it gives me a good idea what each calibre is capable of.

How can investing in a 100 year old drilling be bonkers? It could well be the best gun I've ever had.

Go for it pal :good:

I fancy a combi gun all be it only a 22 hornet one.

If it does turn out to be .323 I'll firstly be very pleased and secondly most likely go with a mid to heavy weight Hornady Interlock RN and drive them fairly slowly. This cartridge runs at between .30-06 and .300 H&H Mag energy - no need to stoke it up for roe and as it's a drilling it won't be used much past 100 yards (more often 50) so trajectory isn't vital. I can save the barrel and run start loads as long as it shoots them well.

I need to resize the pictures. When I figure that out I'll post a couple. In the short term it can be found here...

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f586f291565bf88b&id=F586F291565BF88B%21175&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&sff=1&authkey=!ADFor1PJ3OwNkEc

At the end of the day they're a compromise. It's a slow to reload rifle that can't be moderated and a heavy to swing shotgun, but when you need both and are miles from home/the car they do have their uses. I do 90% of my shooting with my combi. There isn't much I haven't shot with it!

At the end of the day they're a compromise. It's a slow to reload rifle that can't be moderated and a heavy to swing shotgun, but when you need both and are miles from home/the car they do have their uses. I do 90% of my shooting with my combi. There isn't much I haven't shot with it!

I bet the combi will be gathering dust now you have this. I still regret not buying a tikka 12g/222 combi that was in a shop near me at a good price, thought about it too long and someone else had it

I bet the combi will be gathering dust now you have this. I still regret not buying a tikka 12g/222 combi that was in a shop near me at a good price, thought about it too long and someone else had it

Hey, i had one of those for many years, with the right care it was the most accurate rifle i ever had.

would rust whilst carrying it though. Any trace of oil in the barrel band would upset it

Always wondered how the delux model got on with the soldered barrel band

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bring this topic back up for those who were following it. I picked up the drilling last week.

Today a package arrived in the post - a block of cerro low temperature casting alloy. So out came the drilling, an old saucepan and some gloves! I now know after several attempts that my bore is .323 - the newer spec with plenty of bullets about. I've also bought 50 9.3x74R cases to form and trim to 8x60R. So, now I know the spec I can order the dies. Hopefully I'll be shooting the thing by the end of next month! :yahoo:

Edit - Oh, and it turns out the gun is fitted with quick release claw mounts - a very expensive part that I was dreading having to buy for it!

Edited by njc110381