Questions to the wise

indio

Good Morning,

I was wondering if some of the better informed guns could answer a question or three.

1/ with a gun I have that is on my certificate does it cover a friend using it for the odd day if that person is with me when shooting?

2/ can a gun that is secondhand be adjusted to fit someone with either shorter or longer arms by a good gun shop (ie can adjustemnts be made with butt pads...no jokes please)

3/ what is the "form" for shooting birds that may have sneaked into your decoy pattern and are on the ground?

I was out the other day and was concentrating on watching the flight line the birds were using in the high winds that day into the area i was shooting and suddenly noticed one or two of my decoys had suddenly sprouted legs and were walking around.These 2 birds had approached from a completely different direction and sneaked in. Is it the "done thing" to shoot them as pigeons are classed as a pest or is there an unwritten law that the birds should be in flight ? ( as with pheasants ...no runners shot...)

4/ do pigeons have a memory in so much as if you find a decent spot and have an acceptable day can you go back there on consecutive days or do the birds shy away from that field/area for a day ot two?

All answers gratefully received.

Thanks

1 / Bit of a grey area , but generally if you have permission of the land owner then yes.

2/ Yes any gun can be altered to fit anyone , but may not be cost effective depending on the gun.

3/ Have no qualms about shooting them on the ground.

4/ If you give the pigeon a good hammering one day then its unlikely you will get a good shoot the next , but there are always exceptions .

1). Does your friend havs a SGC? If he does yes, you can loan and he can borrow for up to 72 hours before it needs entering on his cert. If not, yes if you are the 'occupier' of the land.

2). Yes, with limitations. I use a leather recoil/extension pad on both of my SbS's as both are a little short in the stock. If too long, the stock can be cut back. cast for left or right hand may be possible, but consult a gunsmith for fitting is the best option.

3). Purely personal choice. I like to 'jump' birds that settle in the decoys and then shoot.

4). Depends, so many variables, but you can generally get a few days of a field. Personally I'd like to rest it a few day between cracks, but with fresh drillings the exposed seed may be gone/eaten in a few days.

Good Morning,

I was wondering if some of the better informed guns could answer a question or three.

1/ with a gun I have that is on my certificate does it cover a friend using it for the odd day if that person is with me when shooting?

2/ can a gun that is secondhand be adjusted to fit someone with either shorter or longer arms by a good gun shop (ie can adjustemnts be made with butt pads...no jokes please)

3/ what is the "form" for shooting birds that may have sneaked into your decoy pattern and are on the ground?

I was out the other day and was concentrating on watching the flight line the birds were using in the high winds that day into the area i was shooting and suddenly noticed one or two of my decoys had suddenly sprouted legs and were walking around.These 2 birds had approached from a completely different direction and sneaked in. Is it the "done thing" to shoot them as pigeons are classed as a pest or is there an unwritten law that the birds should be in flight ? ( as with pheasants ...no runners shot...)

4/ do pigeons have a memory in so much as if you find a decent spot and have an acceptable day can you go back there on consecutive days or do the birds shy away from that field/area for a day ot two?

All answers gratefully received.

Thanks

Edited by Penelope

Thanks for your time and advice. kind regards

1 / Bit of a grey area , but generally if you have permission of the land owner then yes.

2/ Yes any gun can be altered to fit anyone , but may not be cost effective depending on the gun.

3/ Have no qualms about shooting them on the ground.

4/ If you give the pigeon a good hammering one day then its unlikely you will get a good shoot the next , but there are always exceptions .

Wisdom comes in many forms. Thanks for your time. kind regards

I do not claim to be wise but I would echo exactly what Fenboy has said.

Thanks for your time.

1/ no he doesn't have a SGC

2/ yes it's would be that the stock is short rather than too long so a slip on pad maybe the answer (?) There is a good gun shop (dealer and allsorts) near me in West Malling si I will pop in there.

kind regards

1). Does your friend havs a SGC? If he does yes, you can loan and he can borrow for up to 72 hours before it needs entering on his cert. If not, yes if you are the 'occupier' of the land.

2). Yes, with limitations. I use a leather recoil/extension pad on both of my SbS's as both are a little short in the stock. If too long, the stock can be cut back. cast for left or right hand may be possible, but consult a gunsmith for fitting is the best option.

3). Purely personal choice. I like to 'jump' birds that settle in the decoys and then shoot.

4). Depends, so many variables, but you can generally get a few days of a field. Personally I'd like to rest it a few day between cracks, but with fresh drillings the exposed seed may be gone/eaten in a few days.

I'm only a newbie, but the issue at question 1, having researched it for my own purposes is that unless he holds a SGC he cannot shoot. This is changed if you are the landowner or tenant, you don't become the occupier because you have permission to shoot over the land. If you do contravene this you commit an offence under the firearms act.

I'm only a newbie, but the issue at question 1, having researched it for my own purposes is that unless he holds a SGC he cannot shoot. This is changed if you are the landowner or tenant, you don't become the occupier because you have permission to shoot over the land. If you do contravene this you commit an offence under the firearms act.

Thats why I said its a gray area.

The actual law states that you may lend a gun to someone without a certificate only if you are the legal occupier of the land , this can mean someone who occupies the land with the land owners permission.

Thats why I said its a gray area.

The actual law states that you may lend a gun to someone without a certificate only if you are the legal occupier of the land , this can mean someone who occupies the land with the land owners permission.

Tis indeed grey, I've been advised that simply having permission to shoot doesn't not give you 'occupier' status, otherwise we wouldn't have the rule!

If you hold the shooting rights, then that's maybe different.

I personally have no problem taking someone out who does not have a certificate. In fact i'll probably do this tomorrow when i take the kids out with the .410.

I don't mind shooting pigeons on the ground.

As Fenboy said, pigeons normally could do with a rest after being shot at for a day, but there are exceptions. I shot 140 on a Friday, another gun shot 74 on the same field the next day.

Ok .Thanks for your advice. Kind regards

Thanks for your time and response. kind regards.

I personally have no problem taking someone out who does not have a certificate. In fact i'll probably do this tomorrow when i take the kids out with the .410.

I don't mind shooting pigeons on the ground.

As Fenboy said, pigeons normally could do with a rest after being shot at for a day, but there are exceptions. I shot 140 on a Friday, another gun shot 74 on the same field the next day.

Thanks for your time. I must admit I have a couple of shells that seem to have plenty of ventilation holes in them too !

3, stopped shooting birds on the ground when I could see the ground through my shells lol. Normally just standing abruptly is enough to get em going.

Karpman