Choke question

njc110381

I'm trying to work out what choke I should use in the field for live quarry. I've read that 1/4 and 1/2 are good for pigeon from a hide, but how about rabbits etc? What I really want to know is what is the maximum advisable range for each one before the pattern gets too open? I'll be using fibre wad 6s, 30g :stupid:

I was wondering if I could shoot 3/4 and full until I'm a better shot? I know it sounds like I've got it the wrong way round, but I have a plan to get me out sooner. Being a poor shot, if I use full choke I will either miss (more than likely) or pepper what I hit? That way I'm less likely to injure anything? What do you think? I'd like to shoot live quarry ASAP, but my first consideration has to be a humane kill, it's a rule I never break.

Open chokes and short range, that's fine with me! I have no problem stalking, I have to be good at that to kill cleanly with an air rifle. I have a few large oak trees on my shoot that the pigeons roost in. I'll park myself under one with my head net on and give it a go. I'm getting coaching every other sunday from a guy at my local club. He's very good, qualified, and only expects a round paid for him or a cup of tea now and again. Really nice chap, he's helped me no end with stance etc. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I get to be a reasonable shot. I have my own gun now and have been working on my mount at home every night to get it sorted. Cheers for the advice :stupid:

I have a multichoke and I use 1/4 in both barrels on 32g no6 does for most things if they are in range. I also carry a few No3 for just in case i bump into charlie, but again limit the shot to 30yards. I would rather let the quarry get away that wound it.

You could use 1/2 chokes but then you may well pepper the pigeons at closer ranges and make then unedible.

Bradders.

Bradders, I agree with you 100% buddy. No creature should have to suffer, no matter what damage it may do to crops/livestock etc. A clean kill is a must in my view. I can see your point about overkill too, it'd be a shame not to be able to enjoy what I kill. I'll stick with HDs idea I think. If open choke at close range gives me the best chance of a clean kill, that's what I'll use. I may have to leave some of the longer shots, but I should be able to bring home the odd bunny/pigeon for the pot. I don't need to hit hundreds to enjoy the day, I wouldn't know what to do with them all if I got too many anyway! :stupid:

its all very nice and modern if it ever was modern? i think u would find that most game hunter ever where have allways showen some respect for the game they take, to shoot a clean kill with ever shot but dosnt matter if u dont clean kill because u will never do it all the time, the secret of being a hummain shooter is to put the quarry down as soon as posable by hand or by a follow up shot or shots, choke ,? we dont have your woodys in new zealand so so i cant say much about shooting them , we do have rock pigeons i think they are the pigeon that you have in the citys

I shot open and 1/4 for my first year of shooting, last year ive been shooting 1/4 and 1/2 cant say if its made any difference, but i certainly havent found the need to use more than 1/2 choke on anything. They are all hitable, its where you point the gun that matters. This is where your time is best spent improoving, not changing your chokes.