Tooway satellite broadband.

jef

The biggest issue you will have with satellite is latency (aka ping times). Not an issue for everyone, but if you are an online gamer, then it can be a problem. Have your mate go to speedtest.net and post the results.

I was thinking about Tooway but it is pretty expensive. So, I thought I'd have one last go at making the best out of what I had - a measly 0.69Mbps. BT reckoned my line would be able to get only 0.75Mbps as I'm some way from the nearest exchange. Anyway, I came across this website http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/ and started investigating what I had in place and what I could do. Essentially, the site says to-

1. Install an NTE5 if you don't have one (I didn't) and make sure it has a bell-wire filter. Officially, you're not meant to do this yourself as this is the last bit of the phone line that is BT's responsibility.
  2. Install a filtered faceplate on the NTE5
  3. Install a router that accepts SNR / line tweaks

I did all three and can now get 2.3Mbps. Whilst not great, it means stuff like Youtube, iPlayer, music streaming, etc all now works.

I bought the Billion 7800N router as recommended by the site above as it is easy to tweak the SNR setting.

Edit: got router model wrong

Edited by Piebob

Mine is unfortunatelly slowing down the last few days. I think they are doing some works... ;)

2696417309.png

On a more serious note, the Tooway is indeed a very good idea, but it costs a lot. If you have some money to play with, and speed is important to you, then FTTP is the way forward...

Edited by Psyxologos

I've just tried speedtest.net. I'm using Sky Broadband but not fibre optic. The results were:

Download speed: 2.3mb

Upload speed: 0,8Mb

Really slow, but I don't play online games and very rarely use YouTube etc.

Just tested mine and it's about the same as yours. That's rubbish is it? Talk talk sent some thing about booking an engineers visit to improve speeds, might have to take them up on it.

Mobiles have a way to go too. I am only getting

ping 158ms download 4.821mb upload 2.090mb

thats using a 3g connection. I am not going to bother with 4g after reading all the slating reviews.

Was also thinking of a Virgin installation! Then loads of people locally are suffering from service interuptions nearly.every day! Virgins official excuse for this is drops in voltage. My parents system goes down and they lose everything. TV, Internet and.phone.

Think I will stick to my Mobile!