turbo33

It was a perfect evening here for a bit of a zeroing session with the Hmr, so set off to the farm at 5,30. As I arrived and walked down to the zeroing spot, a rabbit popped out of the grass and hopped into the wood at 60 yards away. Tempting, but I wanted to make sure the rifle was bang on. Targets x2 out at 100 yards, 5 shots in each, and following my adjustments from the other day, it was absolutely spot on the bull :good: I collected the targets and thought I would just hang around incase a bunny appeared. Sure enough, slightly past my target range at 102 yards one popped out. Crosshairs on the head, squeeze and no1 in the bag. As I lined up on the first one, a second appeared. I thought he would scoot at the shot, but he just seemed slightly curious as to what was going on. At 120yards he dropped too with a clean head shot. Lovely evening for a sniping session :good:2013-05-18173834jpg2_zpsf829da8e.jpg

2013-05-18174733_zpsb8a3433d.jpg

2013-05-18174522_zps5fdc53c1.jpg

I thought that too Andy :hmm: Tods at only 20 yards closer than my nearer one looks like a serious head explosion. I'm just wondering if the bullet heads are more frangible on some makes than others. These were Winchester Supreme17grn v-max.

I thought that too Andy :hmm: Tods at only 20 yards closer than my nearer one looks like a serious head explosion. I'm just wondering if the bullet heads are more frangible on some makes than others. These were Winchester Supreme17grn v-max.

I've already had exactly the same with bullets out of the same box. One off sticks at 60 odd paces blew its head up and another off sticks at 83 paces was like yours where it just crushed the head in but no exit wound at all so the head had still absorbed all the energy, far less messy though.

Just looked at chairgun. At 60 yards the energy is 131 ftlbs, by the time it hits 100yds its dropped to nearly half that at 86ftlbs. High energy and striking a hard target will fragment more easily I guess. Tods was around 80 yards, 106ftlbs. So maybe upwards of 90ftlbs and you're into explosive territory!

Just looked at chairgun. At 60 yards the energy is 131 ftlbs, by the time it hits 100yds its dropped to nearly half that at 86ftlbs. High energy and striking a hard target will fragment more easily I guess. Tods was around 80 yards, 106ftlbs. So maybe upwards of 90ftlbs and you're into explosive territory!

yes i guess your right, they mostly seem to look like this around 80 yards or less, 100 yards and above they usually look like an airgun strike although i will say everyone is differant, i think its a lot of things coming into play at one time like the angle of the shot, the range and placement of the shot, heres a similar one with nowhere near the damage

post-53283-0-71275000-1368956519_thumb.jpg

Don't think that's right, hmr has around 135 ft lb @ 100 yds and still over 70 @ 200 yds.

Don't think that's right, hmr has around 135 ft lb @ 100 yds and still over 70 @ 200 yds.

Yup, a curious one RFB, just looked at Strelok and that's says muzzle velocity 245ftlbs.........then 207.6ftlbs @ 100 yards and 180ftlbs @200 so that's 3 variables :hmm: Where's your ballistic info from RFB?

I think the original specs quoted here were for the hm2. I read the info in various places, all gave similar figures and ive also run some over the chrono myself, my results were pretty close to that except I got some muzzle energy figures around 270 ft lb. depends on barrel length.