How to mount antlers.

hedd-wyn

Hi all

Looking for some advice really. I picked these up in an antiques fair these afternoon and in a bit of a pickle on how to attach there to a trophy shield.

I will probably make my own shield out of some timber I have laying about. The guy that sold me the antlers reckoned you could put a screw through the holes on the skull into the wood and that it wold be fine.

Having further inspected the skull it seems a little brittle to be able to hold the whole piece so don't fancy trying that

Any info would be appreciated.

943097_10151401808515872_762124086_n.jpg

I was asked to make a shield and mount a head like that for a guy I was doing some work for. I wasn't sure what was best but he said it had been screwed up through the two holes in the skull before so since he was happy with that that's what I did and it seemed to work but welshwarriors plan sounds better.

Edited by aister

2 screws though back of shield into the thick part of skull where antlers connect. 2 empty rifle cases, drill primer pocket out a use cases as spacers.

works for me. i then make 2 pins out of brass. get the case the beast was shot with and load a bullet into it. driil two small holes in case and mount to shield. im not good enough to engrave the case or i would have.

2 screws though back of shield into the thick part of skull where antlers connect. 2 empty rifle cases, drill primer pocket out a use cases as spacers.

works for me. i then make 2 pins out of brass. get the case the beast was shot with and load a bullet into it. driil two small holes in case and mount to shield. im not good enough to engrave the case or i would have.

Wish I had read this earlier, ended up going with Bewsher500's method in the end and seems solid enough.

Thanks for the help everyone.