Decorating advice needed

karpman

Hi guys in a wright old pickle, Missus been nagging to get the stairs painted there a stained wood. No worries I thought down the DIY shop bought some jonhstones self priming brilliant gloss

Well gave the stairs a lick over today and they look pooh to say the least, need another coat for sure but not with this horrible stuff.

How do I rectify this do I have to strip it all back and go again been on 8 hours and can't nib it with sanding paper yet just peels.

Any help very much appreciated

Karpman

P.s can I just undercoat over the fairly **** finish and go again

Cheers mate I'm terrible at rushing lol

If it was stained before hand, you should of sanded to provide a key for then primed and undercoated then top coat. Time consuming but good results. Someone feel free to correct If there is an easier way

Thanks bud tad late for that now lesson learnt. Now I need to resurrect the mess

TOP TIP.... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: ............... :yes:..............................................................................................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

save that hard work and get the yellow pages out and get a painter n decorator in :good::good::good: :good: :good::good:

TOP TIP.... :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: ............... :yes:..............................................................................................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

save that hard work and get the yellow pages out and get a painter n decorator in :good::good::good: :good: :good::good:

Not an option at the moment. Funds are tight so DIY is the only option, many thanks for your informative and helpful tip mind.

A million dots and twenty smilies is just what I needed.

Karpman

Got busy today sanded quick drying primer and first undercoat is been on some 6 hours still tacky.

Must say looking 100 times better already. Another coat of undercoat in the morning followed by a top coat Friday and one Saturday and we should be good.

Thanks for the help guys the biggest pain is I wasted a day or so lol

Karpman

actually there is an easy way, zinsser bin is an etching primer, works a treat and no sanding required. there's still some on the s/s bracelet of my watch from nearly a year ago.

it was designed for incompatible paint surfaces and acts as a barrier coat.

Agreed. Use it a lot. Expensive to recommend for this job though.

actually there is an easy way, zinsser bin is an etching primer, works a treat and no sanding required. there's still some on the s/s bracelet of my watch from nearly a year ago.

it was designed for incompatible paint surfaces and acts as a barrier coat.

Sorry, but Zinsser 'Bin' primer doesn't etch;it is a pigmented shellac,which is why it sticks;very similar to nail varnish.You're right though;it is good stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys had another mild rub down and another undercoat yesterday. Thought I would leave it a day or two for curing weathers been good and so much to do outside like.

Only 28 spindles like, I counted em when I was thinking about buying a new banister other day lol.

Must say looking great now and looking forward to the top coat and seeing the results. Managed to break the bath waste last night mind but that's another story lol

Karpman

Much better idea is to give HID a paint brush and tell her to get on with it. Sounds like a half inch brush would be best. That'll give you time to get out and do some serious shooting before she realises what's happening. Look at all the nice weather your missing. If she's anything like mine then she is wearing out the pattern on the chair with her a##e while you slave over a wayward paint brush.

:good::good: :good: :good::good:

Edited by Uncle Albert

I have panelled internal doors which were painted by the previous house owner (straight over the existing gloss on the doors) with this appalling one coat primer/undercoat/gloss from Dulux.

The stuff is absolute pants, the last paint job was terrible with runs, streaks, brush hairs everywhere and upon rubbing it down to do the job properly the paint keeps ripping and tearing.

It takes me a day to clear ONE door back to basics...NIGHTMARE, the stuff should be banned, but the only way as I see it is to get rid of it.

You have my sympathy, especially if you are talking stair spindles.

Good luck.