Your greatest ever boxer and why

unapalomablanca

The best performance ever of a British boxer ,was when Lloyd Honygan beat Curry . Honygan went in as the massive under dog and wasn't given any chance to win by all of the pundits . If you watch the fight just look at the determination on Honygans face from round 1 . One of the biggest upsets in the history of boxing .

Harnser .

you are getting nearer, it is HONEYGHAN. :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEAVYWEIGHT

my hero in the boxing ring was Joe Louis, (the brown bomber), a truelly murderous left jab, could slip a punch by dropping either shoulder and could take one also,dedicated to the sport,a true gentleman outside the ring, certainly was a master of the art of boxing and held the world title longer than anyone else even to this day,,followed very closely by ali and larry holmes

MIDDLEWEIGHT

has to be sugar ray ROBINSON, pure class and had some wars with jake lamotta,and he was another gentleman outside the ring,

LIGHTWEIGHT

Roberto duran, everybody knows why,totally fearless and would fight anyone anywhere,

BRITISH BOXER

without a doubt it has to be the one and only KEN BUCHANAN, what a warrior hard as nails and fought some of the best,

ENTERTAINMENT

Marvelous marvin haggler,,never ever in a dull fight

BEST ABOUT TODAY

mayweather,his record speaks for itself

BEST UP AND COMING

SAUL Alvares ,, great boxer and can also fight,think mayweather may be finally getting beaten in September, this kid reminds me of the good old days , gets in the ring and gets on with the job certainly not missing that one for the world,

BIGGEST BUM

has to be Audley Harrison,(pick ya spot on the canvas) no heart and as soon as anyone stood toe to toe he would fold,

At the moment Mayweather is untouchable but I like Andre Ward as he's a really good role model. Barrera has had some great fights and also a gent. Not to fussed on Kahn or Froch didn't like the disrespect towards Calazghe a true great.

I agree bud!Calzaghe a class above Froch!Froch wouldn't have lived with Calzaghe if they fought before Calzaghe retired!

used to have work **** ups to watch boxing in manchester mainly, watched Benn, Eubank,Collins and Naz

Greatest fight and the best 70 quid i ever spent was...only down side was the train home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr24cH--0k

Sad end to this fight with what happened to Mcclellan and how he has ended up. boxers really do put everything on the line and now Mcclellan has been left to rot.

Sad end to this fight with what happened to Mcclellan and how he has ended up. boxers really do put everything on the line and now Mcclellan has been left to rot.

I think boxing has on occasions got together to try to help mclelland. There was a documentary a couple of years ago when benn hosted a benefit for him. They met and embraced, it was bloody sad. He is totally dependant on family members, to see the once fine specimen of a man reduced to what he is, really is an awful sight. I dont think your statement of him being 'left to rot' is true. Many have cared for and shown compassion to him and rightly so, its just that his brain damage cant be 'cured'.

HEAVYWEIGHT

my hero in the boxing ring was Joe Louis, (the brown bomber), a truelly murderous left jab, could slip a punch by dropping either shoulder and could take one also,dedicated to the sport,a true gentleman outside the ring, certainly was a master of the art of boxing and held the world title longer than anyone else even to this day,,followed very closely by ali and larry holmes

MIDDLEWEIGHT

has to be sugar ray ROBINSON, pure class and had some wars with jake lamotta,and he was another gentleman outside the ring,

LIGHTWEIGHT

Roberto duran, everybody knows why,totally fearless and would fight anyone anywhere,

BRITISH BOXER

without a doubt it has to be the one and only KEN BUCHANAN, what a warrior hard as nails and fought some of the best,

ENTERTAINMENT

Marvelous marvin haggler,,never ever in a dull fight

BEST ABOUT TODAY

mayweather,his record speaks for itself

BEST UP AND COMING

SAUL Alvares ,, great boxer and can also fight,think mayweather may be finally getting beaten in September, this kid reminds me of the good old days , gets in the ring and gets on with the job certainly not missing that one for the world,

BIGGEST BUM

has to be Audley Harrison,(pick ya spot on the canvas) no heart and as soon as anyone stood toe to toe he would fold,

Cant disagree with the above, bang on mate,

Truely tragic, but you step in the ring and take your chances, I beleive more people are seriously injured in horse racing than they are in the ring, tis rare that, that thappens in the ring the guys are finely tuned and trained beyond the limits of us mere mortals,

ATB

Flynny

I think boxing has on occasions got together to try to help mclelland. There was a documentary a couple of years ago when benn hosted a benefit for him. They met and embraced, it was bloody sad. He is totally dependant on family members, to see the once fine specimen of a man reduced to what he is, really is an awful sight. I dont think your statement of him being 'left to rot' is true. Many have cared for and shown compassion to him and rightly so, its just that his brain damage cant be 'cured'.

Yes i did see that and as a fellow boxer it was hard for me to watch. Sorry by left to rot i was pointing towards that rat don king who to this day hasn`t given a dollar towards his care, I know roy jones jr has and still does donate a % of his purse from each fight he has.

Cant disagree with the above, bang on mate,

Truely tragic, but you step in the ring and take your chances, I beleive more people are seriously injured in horse racing than they are in the ring, tis rare that, that thappens in the ring the guys are finely tuned and trained beyond the limits of us mere mortals,

ATB

Flynn

Yes totally agree with you mate, The medicals you have to go threw here now are one of the best in the world,i box myself and a friend of mine who also boxes only last year got his licence revoked because of a scan he had before a fight. so yes they do all they can to help this from happening. pigeon shooting and boxing you can`t beat it!!

]Yes totally agree with you mate, The medicals you have to go threw here now are one of the best in the world,i box myself and a friend of mine who also boxes only last year got his licence revoked because of a scan he had before a fight. so yes they do all they can to help this from happening. pigeon shooting and boxing you can`t beat it!!

Good to hear you take part in the noble art, I used to do a bit started at 7 years and boxed till I was 20 at amateur level, carried on training till I was 25, now I just do a bit of pad and bag work to keep the belly at bey ha ha ha

Atb

Flynny

There were many great middleweights--some of the best all at the same point in history.

IF Thomas Hearns had used his reach and boxing finesse with Hagler he may well have won his bout--instead he tried he tried to out slug a slugger.

An irony then that what (in my opinion) beat Hagler was abandoning his power and trying to outbox Leonard, in an interview with Ring magazine Leonard related that when he heard Hagler's plan to outbox him he knew he had him.

Benitez, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, pretty tough crowd to come up with.

Old school---- Sugar Ray Robinson, Reuben "Hurricane" Carter

]Yes totally agree with you mate, The medicals you have to go threw here now are one of the best in the world,i box myself and a friend of mine who also boxes only last year got his licence revoked because of a scan he had before a fight. so yes they do all they can to help this from happening. pigeon shooting and boxing you can`t beat it!!

Good to hear you take part in the noble art, I used to do a bit started at 7 years and boxed till I was 20 at amateur level, carried on training till I was 25, now I just do a bit of pad and bag work to keep the belly at bey ha ha ha

Atb

Flynny

good on you pal which club was you with?Ive been doing it for the coming up 20 years now but unfortunately a hand injury keeps me from fighting as often as i would like, but even now i can`t seem to see the day i hang the gloves up, it`s like stopping pigeon shooting selling the gun and stop shooting (just isn`t happening)!

good on you pal which club was you with?Ive been doing it for the coming up 20 years now but unfortunately a hand injury keeps me from fighting as often as i would like, but even now i can`t seem to see the day i hang the gloves up, it`s like stopping pigeon shooting selling the gun and stop shooting (just isn`t happening)!

Boarshaw ABA, in Middleton in manchester, It is now called the Frank Rowbotham centre (after my old trainer RIP Frank) I also used to pay the odd visit to Collyhurst and moston lads club run by Brian Hughes ( the wifes grandad taught Brian how to box )he trains or used to train? Matty Hall, Gomez , Farnell etc They have all been on the undercard for many top pro arena fights, Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I am not up to speed on the boxing world today, but I still love pounding the bag and watching it when I get the chance, Im nearly 40 now but it still keeps me fit!!!!!!!!! Well I try ha ha ha

ATB

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Boarshaw ABA, in Middleton in manchester, It is now called the Frank Rowbotham centre (after my old trainer RIP Frank) I also used to pay the odd visit to Collyhurst and moston lads club run by Brian Hughes ( the wifes grandad taught Brian how to box )he trains or used to train? Matty Hall, Gomez , Farnell etc They have all been on the undercard for many top pro arena fights, Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I am not up to speed on the boxing world today, but I still love pounding the bag and watching it when I get the chance, Im nearly 40 now but it still keeps me fit!!!!!!!!! Well I try ha ha ha

ATB

Flynny

Fair play to you mate,I think once its in your blood you will never lose it. i also have been lucky enough to train with brian before he retired i use to go with a good friend of mine scot quigg, he is super bantam british champ and says he ows everything to brian.

ATB

Andy

Fair play to you mate,I think once its in your blood you will never lose it. i also have been lucky enough to train with brian before he retired i use to go with a good friend of mine scot quigg, he is super bantam british champ and says he ows everything to brian.

ATB

Andy

Very true mate, you loose your fitness and maybe arnt as sharp as you used to be as you get a bit older, but you still know how to throw a proper punch and set of combos even if you are knackered after 10 mins on the bag ha ha ha

I must admit I do miss the smell of the old gym and the trainer shouting "TIME" every two minutes while cicuit training around the speed ball, floor to ceiling ball and different weight bags etc

ATB

Flynny

Edited by flynny