New 8 bore

roughshooter

After giving up on getting an 8 Bore - one finally fell into my hands so to speak!

Not quite what I was after but as good as my budget will allow.

A Ralph Grant side by side 8 bore - before anyone says it is a bored out 10.... I know! But I have to say it handles better than the tens as there is less weight in the barrels and this one has hardley been used and is in original condition apart from chokes are 20 thou in each barrel.

Recoil is moderate with lead loads up to 70g but the problem comes when it is real fowling time as it is tighly bored at .813. No Gualandi wads will be going up this barrel and the Card cups (at .836) will not be either so it leaves me with Bismuth as the only real option for foreshore shooting.

However I don't have any big Bismuth BB or 1's which is ideallly what I want.

Anyone have any for sale? I will pay a fair price but am not going to go to the silly prices Clay and game are dreaming of!!

Regards

Graham

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want some to put through the ten.

I got a few bismuth 1s loaded for me and the gun patterned it great so i want more but cant find any at a 'reasonable' price

Luckily i have the factory remington nitro steel to fall back on but it just isn't as good.

I have alot of 63g ITM loaded up for 10 in size 1 and 3. If the bores were not so tight then I would cut them up and load them into the 8 bore but I have tried a card wad and it will not go up the barrel. I am sure it would with 60 grains of 381 behind it but like my fingers lol

I have alot of 63g ITM loaded up for 10 in size 1 and 3. If the bores were not so tight then I would cut them up and load them into the 8 bore but I have tried a card wad and it will not go up the barrel. I am sure it would with 60 grains of 381 behind it but like my fingers lol

How much do they work out at per shot?

Want to sell me some!?

use plastic off a big milk carton as a wrap around the shot, used itm through a proper 8 bore for years and never had a problem with any marks in the barrels, other than that its Nice shot now but that still needs to be wrapped the same way, got a couple of kgs in bb last year for the older guns very good gear but expensive, that English bismuth is to brittle for big guns bet some of it is smashed to bits by the time its out and flying.

Didn't you just cut up some 8 bore loads ?

It makes you wonder what people are shooting in there 8's!!

Thank heavens lead can still be used in Scotland over grass but not water or wet land so inland goosing & duck shooting is still done with lead in some cases although

I don't think this will continue for too much longer though, which will leave a major problem for those who use older guns & damacus barreled guns .

In my own old 8bore I use lead away from water & wet land & use Tungsten matrix when I am shooting over water but the tubs of this I have are now getting low & I don't know if can still be got ? , can it stil be got ??? any one know ? .

No you can't buy itm anymore, you see tubs for sale now and again when folk are packing up, nice shot is £70 a kilo it's a option if you want shoot the shore.

Thanks for the info mate but what happened to it ? I still have most of what I got some time ago & loading it into my 4bore cases made it look a bit expensive ! anyway the 4 has been sold so it looks like I will have to use it caution to make last but what then ? .

Thanks for the info mate but what happened to it ? I still have most of what I got some time ago & loading it into my 4bore cases made it look a bit expensive ! anyway the 4 has been sold so it looks like I will have to use it caution to make last but what then ? .

Not sure myself what happened to it!! think it was the price of the raw materials to make it, they went through the roof, check out the nice shot on the precision reloading site its good gear very much the same as itm, its a tungsten iron, tin mixture, got some in BBs last year for a old fowling gun, crushes just like lead in a set of pliers so its a start, other than that maybe loose bismuth for the odd shot to keep an old gun running, Clay and Game sell both types of shot now.

Regards Rob.

Not sure myself what happened to it!! think it was the price of the raw materials to make it, they went through the roof, check out the nice shot on the precision reloading site its good gear very much the same as itm, its a tungsten iron, tin mixture, got some in BBs last year for a old fowling gun, crushes just like lead in a set of pliers so its a start, other than that maybe loose bismuth for the odd shot to keep an old gun running, Clay and Game sell both types of shot now.

Regards Rob.

Many thanks Rob will chase it up when the time comes , no way will I put steel l through my old guns I have looked down the bores of so many many fine old British guns mostly in Ireland & Australia that have had lord knows what fired down them & the barrels are beyond restoration :mad: ! it makes you want to cry some times .

ATB .

Edited by Pole Star

Tried it a few years ago, it's best suited to a plas wad, which I couldn't use in the gun at the time. Same again it needs some kind of a wrap because it did scratch the barrel, but it polished out. Found it needed to be pushed hard and fast to get results , which old guns don't like! Found it a waste of time in old guns for me, best suited to new guns, ran the stuff through my beretta and it killed well.

I have some ITX on order from the states in no 2.

If the c;ay and game card cups had fitted in the bore then I would have loaded it as ITM.

Not used wraps but I do have some cut for 8 bore which came in with gear I bought. It is cut from a blue damproofing material I think.

Has anyone experience of using these in the 8 bore? A wrap in a wad is fine I would think but on top of a fibre? I can jst picture a blue flag floating in the air after every shot!!
Graham

I have some ITX on order from the states in no 2.

If the c;ay and game card cups had fitted in the bore then I would have loaded it as ITM.

Not used wraps but I do have some cut for 8 bore which came in with gear I bought. It is cut from a blue damproofing material I think.

Has anyone experience of using these in the 8 bore? A wrap in a wad is fine I would think but on top of a fibre? I can jst picture a blue flag floating in the air after every shot!!

Graham

Heavy duty damp proof plastic is nothing new, its in that old shooting times reloading book from years ago, damp proof plastic is better for lead, if you fire one off and look for the wrap you will find in a lead load its nearly gone through, like i said early on in the post try some milk carton plastic, its nearly same thickness of a plas wad, never had a problem with a felt wad then wrap with just over 2 0z of itm loaded in a new winchester case, i would wrap itx it scored my barrel its hard stuff, i was lucky it didn't make a mess, never seen any data for itx for the 8 bore i know clay and game don't have any unless somebody has had any proofed.

Heavy duty damp proof plastic is nothing new, its in that old shooting times reloading book from years ago, damp proof plastic is better for lead, if you fire one off and look for the wrap you will find in a lead load its nearly gone through, like i said early on in the post try some milk carton plastic, its nearly same thickness of a plas wad, never had a problem with a felt wad then wrap with just over 2 0z of itm loaded in a new winchester case, i would wrap itx it scored my barrel its hard stuff, i was lucky it didn't make a mess, never seen any data for itx for the 8 bore i know clay and game don't have any unless somebody has had any proofed.

Shell: 8 GA 3 1/4" Remington Plastic Industrial Unibody

Primer: CCI-209 M Lot - D03C

Powder: 46 OR Blue Dot Lot - 207

Wad: Gualandi plastic + .135 NC + 1.50" X 2.50" X .010 Plastic shot collar

Shot: 2-1/4 oz 1 Tungsten Matrix 174 pellets

Buffer: 30 GR fine high density plastic

Velocity: 1216 FPS

Pressure: 10760 PSI (742) bars 10080 LUP (3.6 tons per square inch)

Roll Crimp: OL 3.070

Shell: 8 GA 3 1/4" Remington Plastic Industrial Unibody

Primer: CCI-209 M Lot - D03C

Powder: 46 OR Blue Dot Lot - 207

Wad: Gualandi plastic + .135 NC + 1.50" X 2.50" X .010 Plastic shot collar

Shot: 2-1/4 oz 1 Tungsten Matrix 174 pellets

Buffer: 30 GR fine high density plastic

Velocity: 1216 FPS

Pressure: 10760 PSI (742) bars 10080 LUP (3.6 tons per square inch)

Roll Crimp: OL 3.070

That is for ITM. It is slightly softer than ITX.

The americans don't use 8 bores which is why there is no data for it

Just as a thought did you never do papier mashie at school why not try making some shot cups to your bore ?

A simple two part mould should do the trick.

Would love to see some pictures of you new toy though fella :good:

I am starting to think I shouldn't have bothered with the 8!!!

Gun cabinet is full and I could have bought another browning gold or an sp10....... easy reloads and cheaper to run with no worries of bore sizes and constrictions!!!

Ye but this will be special ! :good: