18-year-old shooting campaigner receives BASC award.

A teenage campaigner received a BASC award at the organisation’s AGM for his part in organising a lobby against age-restrictions on the sale of shooting magazines.
James Reynolds was awarded the Ian Richardson trophy for his part in a campaign to stop the age restriction of shooting magazines by WHSmith. The retailer had been preventing under-14s from buying shooting magazines by using till prompts to check the age of customers.
James set up a petition and used social media to gather the support of over 12,000 people across the UK. Working closely with BASC, James shared updates and briefings which provided momentum to the campaign.
jr_wh_smith_for_web_75099.jpg
At the AGM James was also celebrating his 18th birthday. He received his trophy from The Earl of Home, BASC’s president.
BASC’s Conor O’Gorman, who nominated James for the award said: “The petition and Facebook page that James set up provided a flag that people could rally around. He has set an important example of how to use social media effectively. For example, the model James used has been taken up by campaigns against the proposed licensing of low- powered airguns in Scotland.”
James said: “It means a great deal to me to receive the Ian Richardson trophy from BASC, an organisation I thoroughly support, in recognition of my efforts. The campaign was extremely rewarding but it would have been in vain had people not signed and supported the petition. So my thanks goes to them.“

Appreciate your kind words guys, i couldn't have done any of it if it wasn't for the people who jumped on board with this and encouraged other people to sign and get involved, so thank you to those people.

More and more interest these days from older shooters in shooting related campaigns, but also quite interestingly and pleasingly from the younger people coming into the sport which is good to see. As for the mistaken identity between me and Reece, credit where credit is due , Reece frequently posted on here when the campaign was running, as well as on the Facebook page and along with others was very much responsible for keeping the threads current and up to date, and thus fostering more interest.

I am not from a shooting background, or shooting family, i got into this sport out of curiosity and before i discovered forums and met other sportsmen a lot of very basic learning was through those magazines and i simply couldn't believe that people think so badly without really any justification on shooting sports that they think it would be dangerous for teenagers to have access to shooting magazines.

All the best guys and thanks once again.