Anyone Shoot A 16 Bore

A pot hunters gun? Well that's me I guess. That and a pest controller who needs a gun for every task, and a combi or drilling does the trick nicely.

Plan for the rifle barrel is to first work out the chambering with a cerrosafe cast. It's near 100 years old and I'm not sure ammunition is available any more? Hey ho, it's nitro proofed so I can always make it myself from another case and cast bullets if needs must. Once that's done I'll be out shooting roe and munties with it. I've shot more deer with my combi gun than all the other rifles I own or have owned put together. I'm expecting this new drilling to overtake it in time.

Keen deer shooters will say that as there's no second shot option it's limited for cull work. But I don't do cull work - I'm too fat and lazy to drag more than one deer out of the valley at a time! :lol:

Well it would be great for a summer walk around say bag a muntie or a roe & perhaps bag a bunny or two on the way back all with a 100 year old drilling that could probably tell some wonderful tales if only it could only talk ! .

The part of sourcing & loading the rifle cases is all part of the fun & its so pleasing to have something no one else dare touch because simply its just beyond them or their abilities . :good: . ps if the old rifle caliber was not up to modern requirements it must be possible to have the rifle end of it rebarreled in a suitable up to date round .

Edited by Pole Star

A pot hunters gun? Well that's me I guess. That and a pest controller who needs a gun for every task, and a combi or drilling does the trick nicely.

Plan for the rifle barrel is to first work out the chambering with a cerrosafe cast. It's near 100 years old and I'm not sure ammunition is available any more? Hey ho, it's nitro proofed so I can always make it myself from another case and cast bullets if needs must. Once that's done I'll be out shooting roe and munties with it. I've shot more deer with my combi gun than all the other rifles I own or have owned put together. I'm expecting this new drilling to overtake it in time.

Keen deer shooters will say that as there's no second shot option it's limited for cull work. But I don't do cull work - I'm too fat and lazy to drag more than one deer out of the valley at a time! :lol:

I have just choked on my whiskey. lol.

I have owned two over the years the first was a cogswell Harrison assisted opener box lock ejector with was once owned by Tom Finney the footballer it was a cracking gun but due to the fact I was a under keeper on the yts scheme on £29 a week the cost of cartridges saw me sell it the only gun I've ever regretted selling was a real nice gun to shoot the second 16 I had I can honestly say I never missed a thing with although I only fired one shot through it , I paid one box of cartridges for it and sold it for the price of ten boxes so was a good gun in my eyes . But I have to say I've a sweet spot for the 16 nice calibre to shoot and all seam to shoot well I'd have another

Edited by bjlfishing

I like my first 16 bore so much I bought another one this week! I'm not unhappy that they aren't so popular, keeps the price down a bit, some bargains to be had if you look. I think it's cracker, here's a pic (doesn't really do it justice). Out decoying with it later as long as the rains stays away...

post-53088-0-19189100-1371981763_thumb.jpg