Defender

fat_jay

I think the Focus sport is going to go, and be replaiced with a defender (probably a 90)

Looking to spend about £4,500 (focus value) what could i get, or what should i expect to get, for that sort of money?

Be great to get an idea from you people in the know, so i dont chuck my money at the wrong motor

Thanks In Advance

Jay

I know it sounds a bit weird for someone who has a few defenders with different engines -at thuis moment I have a 200tdi 90 and a td5 110- but I thinking you can get a better car for this money if you buy a disco.

If you realy want a defender I would look for a 300 tdi for this money. Almost bulletproof engines and a lot of problems in the car should have been fixed already at this age...

pretty much everyone and their wife will tell you to get a 300tdi.

my old man is a landy tech working for a pretty well respected independant (and has been for 25 years or so) and i've got a td5, on his recomendation over a 300.

most 300's are rot boxes now unless they've had some work done and you'll pay over the odds for one as all the armchair experts recon the're better.

same as above with the td5, chances are if it was going to have problems it would have by now.

i picked up a 51 plate for less than your budget, with sub 80,000 miles on it and pretty clean.

as has been said you'll get more discovery for your money, but it'll also depreciate more in your ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid 7k for an utterly unmolested 300tdi with full fsh, the only rot was the x member as it had come from southampton and had been used early on to slip launch boats. With that replaced it's been perfectly fine. Td5's will give you more for your money the only real drawback is having to hook it up to a computer to do anything engine related, however the plus side of that is you can acheive better results from the tune. Tuning a 300tdi is a little crude in reality, bigger intercooler, tweak the fuel pump and that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...