steel wads

fendrover90

Sorry to disagree, but I would`nt risk it.

All the literature advises against doing this.

Set back with hard plastic wads designed for steel is minimal. The whole purpose of the wad being so hard is to prevent the shot embedding in it and the shot itself, being so hard, has almost no compressability and will not deform like lead.

Newtons third law of motion also applies and some of the steel shot,with it`s having limited compressability, will actually move forward at the moment of firing. In most cartridges with either a crimp, rto or overshot card, with the shot seated well down in the wad, this won`t make any difference and the accelerating shot column would either overtake this forward movement or be obstructed by the cartridge closure.

The worst case scenario would be for the shot to be already outside the protection of the wad before firing. These would be the pellets that would be over run by the wad and would score the bore of your barrel.

If your cartridge load is following a proof tested recipe and the components have been carefully weighed out, this is a problem that you should not be having.

Sorry to disagree, but I would`nt risk it.

All the literature advises against doing this.

Set back with hard plastic wads designed for steel is minimal. The whole purpose of the wad being so hard is to prevent the shot embedding in it and the shot itself, being so hard, has almost no compressability and will not deform like lead.

Newtons third law of motion also applies and some of the steel shot,with it`s having limited compressability, will actually move forward at the moment of firing. In most cartridges with either a crimp, rto or overshot card, with the shot seated well down in the wad, this won`t make any difference and the accelerating shot column would either overtake this forward movement or be obstructed by the cartridge closure.

The worst case scenario would be for the shot to be already outside the protection of the wad before firing. These would be the pellets that would be over run by the wad and would score the bore of your barrel.

If your cartridge load is following a proof tested recipe and the components have been carefully weighed out, this is a problem that you should not be having.

Sorry, i have to disagree. Most of the steel reloads i make have a few pellets above the wad before crimping. I have not yet encountered a problem with barrel scoring. My reloading manuals also state that this is normal.

Guest cookoff013

if i was reloading these, i`d just remove the offending pellets. it`d reduce the load by a gram or so.

thats usually the price you pay for using large shot, when trying a recipe that uses 4s or so.

i bet volumetricly through a reloader, would yield less shot ammount as the shotsize gets bigger.

if i was reloading these, i`d just remove the offending pellets. it`d reduce the load by a gram or so.

thats usually the price you pay for using large shot, when trying a recipe that uses 4s or so.

i bet volumetricly through a reloader, would yield less shot ammount as the shotsize gets bigger.

or ditch the buffer and keep the shot count up.