Magnet time...

so if i went for A1 rotary kit @£45 and the hypaflaps from AA @£24 x2 inc del would that be a good starter setup?

AA dont sell Hypaflaps as far as i know, Uk shootwarehouse sell them 40 quid a pair i think

Stick with dead birds.

I don't like the decoy magnet birds, I'm not doubting they may be effective but its just something else to carry!

Stick a couple of shot birds on the freezer and your good to go every time.

AAdecoys magnet will be a good start. An additional 7Ah battery won't cost alot and will keep you going most of the day.

If you have freezer room then look at a rotary which uses a central rod and wing spreaders.

The end of the arm needs to have a boss and threaded rod for the cradle to fit into.

Set a pair of fresh shot birds on the cradle and put them in the freezer, then put them back at the end of the day. The hypa flappers use the same rod so that will give you a guide when looking at a rotary’s

I made mine but my mate uses pinewood arms which I modified too fit both his machines.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

Stick with dead birds.

I don't like the decoy magnet birds, I'm not doubting they may be effective but its just something else to carry!

Stick a couple of shot birds on the freezer and your good to go every time.

AAdecoys magnet will be a good start. An additional 7Ah battery won't cost alot and will keep you going most of the day.

Am I missing something? if decoy magnet birds are just something else to carry are not real birds from the freezer also something to carry or does em fly ? :)

Am I missing something? if decoy magnet birds are just something else to carry are not real birds from the freezer also something to carry or does em fly ? :)

They fly from the freezer to the decoy pattern.

They tend to be more bulky chaps, have fragile foam or tyvek wings and cost money.

A dead bird costs a cartridge or two but nothing else.

Plus you can't more realistic than a dead bird?

Everyone has there own ways though and I'm not that clued up on decoys on magnets so tend to stick with the dead birds.

Cant say I've handled my hypaflaps very carefully, a respectable amount of maitainance and repairs :whistling: but they still did the business for me when out, must be near their 7th birthday soon..

I used to use them till I downed a cpl of real birds for the rotary but realy didnt notice that much enticing difference between real and hypas so just stuck with hypas all the time, on a nice lightweight homemade 6volt rotary.

Not to say that real birds dont do the business and on the right day maybe put hypas to shame but I prefer the less weight carry and the wing movement of hypas.

Its up to what you find works for you and have confidence with.

Edited by deny essex

Don't take this the wrong way but I didn't intend this to be the usual debate between dead and plastic.

If I go down the dead bird route it means getting another battery, I think.

I'm only out for about 6 hours at the moment. I don't mind spending abit more for the hypaflaps, well I say me I mean long haired general as its my bday in 12 days.

Don't take this the wrong way but I didn't intend this to be the usual debate between dead and plastic.

If I go down the dead bird route it means getting another battery, I think.

I'm only out for about 6 hours at the moment. I don't mind spending abit more for the hypaflaps, well I say me I mean long haired general as its my bday in 12 days.

Why not hedge your bets , buy some hypaflaps which will give you a reasonable runtime on a 7AH battery in mild wind conditions, and change to real birds after downing some if you feel they may do better on the day.

But either way as said before a 12ah for hypa/real mix or better still 17ah battery will handle real birds all day.