motorbike advice

goodo123

You ought to do the cbt before your theory. Some people like the 'idea' of riding a bike, but when it actually comes down to getting on 2 wheels, many find that it isn't really for them, by which time youll have wasted money doing a theory test! :good:

Good call welshie, I've had big bikes for years,mainly GSXR 1000's and now got a Blade and has been said before the temptation is always thereno matter how long you've had bikes ,but if you're new to bikes and how they react your first mistake could easily be your last,after passing your test you will then learn to ride a bike ,start low and aim high don't start high and fall to the bottom.

Jase.

i had i bike and im lucky to be here .. sum tit pulled out on me and wrecked both my legs and my bike. i had whats called a compound fracture both bones snapped and came out of the skin broke my foot and toes i couldn't here for a week good bash to head bike was in bits im now left with scares all over my leg metal rods and pins..... i bought a car after that lol didn't harm my pretty face so im still good there

ps If you are looking for a cheap commuter to keep your best bike for weekends, pm me, I've got a pristine Kawasaki GT550 available.

You will have no trouble selling that, couriers will rip your arm off.

Edit to add: When I first got my RSV1000 I was playing on some nice new roads near Canary Wharf when a courier on a rat bike with panniers and a top box came around the outside of me ! I'm sure I could hear him laughing as he disappeared....

Edited by Catweazle

You ought to do the cbt before your theory. Some people like the 'idea' of riding a bike, but when it actually comes down to getting on 2 wheels, many find that it isn't really for them, by which time youll have wasted money doing a theory test! :good:

I did a cbt when I was younger so I know what being on two wheels is about ( very slow tho on a 50 lol). I've got a "taster day booked in for next week, basically to give them and me a rough assessment on how I can control a geared bike. Then after I've done theory hopefully do a semi- direct access, hopefully at this point I will know roughly how long itl take. Although I do have a frend who took his mod 2 three times andv. A work mate who didn't pass first time. Hopefully the weather will hold up a bit through. My training, don't really fancy lessons or test when it's icey.

didnt read all the thread but my advice after racing for a lot of years internatianally and riding on the road i have now given up ,roads are not that great and cars do not read the bikes and vice versa.

I would say stick to 600cc they are plenty man enough to get way out of control and build up slowly ,the throttle goes both ways but not for all modern bikes are so easy to ride but this is the danger before you know it you are out of depth and accidents happen.

everyone wants a big bike too fast i suppose its like shooting and getting bigger guns, soon enough it will bite back so build up slowly and enjoy the ride i hope you get sorted and have lots of fun on your new toy it will become a passion or obsession , my wifes first time out on a bike was our journey across to france on gxr1100 slabside did quite a few miles and she loved it and then racing took over again enjoy it and heres a couple of snaps from the album both in IOM a few years ago, atb wayne

F10V1175.jpg

F10V1177.jpg

Edited by mereside

So scanning through the advice here a 600 isn't too much for a novice rider?. I don't know how testing etc works over thepond but i've had a look at their forums and it looks like their testing isn't very strict... A fair few vids on YouTube of people just jumping on huge bikes with no training and not even knowing the controls.... And of course Bunning it

I used to do a lot of moto x and trials biking but always wanted to do my road bike test, but there was always an excuse not too! i have now booked my cbt for 4th August and my Theory for the 22nd.

The Hazard perception part of the new theory is hard work though! I think it is because i have been driving for years i just don't see that a lot of them are hazards!

I have no interest in sports bike and my goal is to buy a big cruiser something along the lines of a Kawasaki VN 1500. Would love to do a tour around Europe one day on it.

goodo a modern 600 is i would say if you have not done much riding the most you want to go 170mph is way fast enough to hurt yourself.

If you really want to learn and enjoy a bike i would go for a 400cc but it seems not enough for some a 400cc wont run away with you like a bigger bike you will learn to corner properly and hold a decent corner speed in comparison to a bigger bike.

I would say you will learn to ride a bike better with a smaller cc if you decide on the 600cc route they are more responcive and get up to top end quicker but i suppose it really depends on your ability and if you have ridden before.

if not i would seriously if you can afford it go to a race school and spend a day with a rider on there 600 on a track its a big wide open expance of track and listen to the instructor you will be amazed at how much you will learn from him in one day than you will learn on the road and worth every penny.

its not about racing but about how to ride and corner ,were to break ect ,atb wayne

Sv650 is about the best first bike you can buy, great handling, enough torque that you can concentrate on riding it without jumping up and down the gearbox and small/light enough to avoid the supermarket car park fall over.

The difference between that and a 600 gixxer is night and day, I've had both as well as bigger gixxers and couldn't advocate a 600 sports bike for someone who has been riding for 10 minutes. But it's up to you!

goodo a modern 600 is i would say if you have not done much riding the most you want to go 170mph is way fast enough to hurt yourself.

If you really want to learn and enjoy a bike i would go for a 400cc but it seems not enough for some a 400cc wont run away with you like a bigger bike you will learn to corner properly and hold a decent corner speed in comparison to a bigger bike.

I would say you will learn to ride a bike better with a smaller cc if you decide on the 600cc route they are more responcive and get up to top end quicker but i suppose it really depends on your ability and if you have ridden before.

if not i would seriously if you can afford it go to a race school and spend a day with a rider on there 600 on a track its a big wide open expance of track and listen to the instructor you will be amazed at how much you will learn from him in one day than you will learn on the road and worth every penny.

its not about racing but about how to ride and corner ,were to break ect ,atb wayne

The trouble with a 400 is the lack of torque. Everything is up the top of the rev range. The 400s drag you into riding quickly (not necessarily fast) everywhere. This isn't great for a new rider.

Older 600s, v-twin 650s or some of the parrallel twin 900s are the best place to go first.

The trouble with a 400 is the lack of torque. Everything is up the top of the rev range. The 400s drag you into riding quickly (not necessarily fast) everywhere. This isn't great for a new rider.

Older 600s, v-twin 650s or some of the parrallel twin 900s are the best place to go first.

...and the fact that if you're larger than a Japanese person, you'll look a bit silly on one. Elephant riding a bicycle and all that...

yes i agree but you can ride them without having to thrash them ,the trouble with twins is you easily get lulled into a false speed by the low revs of the engine and before you know where you are you are faster than expected.

the other poster is also right that a 400 is small so if you are large they are not comfortable all bikes have thier good and bad points it really is dependant on the actual person about to own the bike.

if you are a person that will want to ride quick and most do as you cant help it stick to something that wont run away with you till you get the hang of it .

Its like pot kettle and black me giving advice as my first road bike after passing my test was a cbr 600 and two weeks later a gsxr1100 previous bikes where 50cc started on a c50 then tzr but i was racing bigger bikes at the time

looking back having kids and a family see it from the otherside now and have lost alot of friends on the way in and out of racing and had a good go at not being here myself but i do not regret anything i ever did and if i started all over would probably do the same again ,

its really your choice and a big shiny fast bike is very tempting and as said earlier the throttle goes both ways but on a bigger bike it usually only goes one way because its too hard to resist.

good luck and post pics when you decide what you get,wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Well just done my cbt, did it on a little Yamaha 125. Was a little bit peeved tho as the two other lads did it on automatic 50cc. I think it would have been better if it was all one or the other. This way it's same controls etc for every bike. Also wouldn't have been so nervous about stalling. Was quite funny tho that the others managed to stall theirs on the off road part and I didn't stall a manual.