Charity ‘Game Birds’ calendar for 2014.

Paul223

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of pretty good photographers on here so I don't want to patronise anyone, but if anyone wants some tips on getting decent images I've listed some very basic technical info below. These are just very basic tips and are by no means rules, just guidelines for getting the type of images used for models/calendars so feel free to ignore them.

1. Avoid wide angle lenses and use minimum standard lens - ideally a short telephoto lens around 80 mm will be perfect but longer lenses will also be excellent as they help separate the subject from the background.

2. Use a wide aperture (smallest number) to get a shallow depth of field.

3. Avoid shooting in direct sun as it causes harsh shadows (the exception to this is late in the day when the sun is low, soft and warm).

4. Avoid using flash, especially directly for the same reason as above. Bouncing flash off a ceiling/wall can help when inside but for these type of images ambient light (available light) is often the best bet.

5. The best time of day to shoot - especially at this time of year - is around sunset on sunny days (sunrise is impractically early), it's often referred to as the 'magic hour' as the light is warm, soft and golden.

6. Keep things simple, don't try to shoehorn too much in the image unless it will work well - less is often more.

7. Don't be afraid of American-style back-lighting (eg. low, evening light from behind can look great if you slightly over-expose it).

8. Look at everything that is in the frame and not just at the subject and change positions if needed to avoid unnecessary objects (long lenses help with this).

9. If the models are exposing skin, make sure they are prepared early as elastic strap marks on skin don't look good.

10. Finally, and most importantly, don't wear tight fitting trousers that may betray your happiness.

I've got some printing clients that print calendars. Lots and lots of calendars.

I've got something on the go for them at the mo and they owe me a favour or two.

How many are you looking to print, what size and quality?

I might know an avenue for retail distribution - but it's sale or return and they'll want "lots" and they won't take anything amateurish.

Whilst I'm all for big jugs out, the calendar money goes on fluffy cats, horses and plain vanilla stuff like that (stocking fillers for sub £10)

PM me when it gets legs

I've got some printing clients that print calendars. Lots and lots of calendars.

I've got something on the go for them at the mo and they owe me a favour or two.

How many are you looking to print, what size and quality?

I might know an avenue for retail distribution - but it's sale or return and they'll want "lots" and they won't take anything amateurish.

Whilst I'm all for big jugs out, the calendar money goes on fluffy cats, horses and plain vanilla stuff like that (stocking fillers for sub £10)

PM me when it gets legs

:good:

as per our pm, more than happy to get the print ready artwork sorted, photo retouching etc.

as per pm, top man :yes:

Whilst 'jugs out' ticks a box for me it's about 'sales' and most calendars are bought by women and given away at Xmas.

A bawdy calendar would sell about 15 copies on here (3 a piece each to be wipe clean 'laminated' to handful of saddos that pop up, get excited and forum stalk any female that sticks her head above the trench) but I don't see that calendar going on the kitchen wall of most homes.

There are stats for calendar sales and it's along the lines of 1. Cats in hats 2. Cliff Richard 3. Constable-eque landscape photis.

maybe 2 calendars - one with the best of outdoors related photography (there have been some cracking photos taken on here along the way) and one 'jugs out'. There should also just be the option of a donation to get the photos and to bin off the calendar :lol:

I would have no problem with a tasteful glamour calendar up in our family home...if your talking about field coats with hot pants and no Wobblies exposed I don't see the problem! We had hollyoaks babes on our wall for a few years running! I thought the forum would be full of hot blooded men not prudes :P besides, when do you see a scenic calendar in a workshop, man cave such as a garage, office etc...

I know plenty of Christians who don't mind a bit of boob! Since when was that a sin?! (remember a lot of these calendars are inspired by the WI!!!!!) But if you don't like it, don't buy it! Simples! :)

And if you had been to church over recent years and seen the outfits the congregation wear nowadays, you would know where I'm coming from!

Whilst I wouldn't want to stand in the way of your growing desire to take items of your clothing off and be photographed, it struck me that this was to be a money making exercise for charity and so that would be driven by "sales".

Just Google "top selling calendars" and you get this: http://2013bestcalendars.blogspot.co.uk/

There's not much "T&A" in that line up is there? :lol:

Edited by Mungler