Cooking Venison? Muntjac

wannabe_keeper

I was lucky enough to bag a muntjac last week from the high seat and took the two bag legs off for myself and gave the rest to friends/family.

I put the 2 legs in the freezer last week and was wondering what best to do with them!?

I assume I can't cook them from frozen?

If I defrost them and made up some burgers or sausages can I then re-freeze these or is that a bad idea? Alternitavely I was going to defrost and do a roast?

I normally roast the back legs, but this is with a Fallow deer. I normally defrost and roast for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours @ 180c. I then slice it up and serve with spuds, vegs & gravy. Everytime I have done it this way the venison has been melt in your mouth tender. I normally cook the joint the night before and then it is easier to slice into portions when the meat is cold. Then a few minutes in the oven brings it back up to temperature.

simply as it is fresh you can take a punt on re freezing, I have done when making sausages to no negative effect. Muntjac you can do all sorts with roast as above, or split into cuts and make small steaks and then cube the rest for casseroles the list is almost endless. I have an increasing amount cubed in the freezer for shoot lunches, always goes down a treat and a cheap way to feed everyone

defrost them and then there is a few ways to go either debone and cut into steaks the back legs have three muscle groups so is easy just cut along the bone and keep trimming around it till its off then look at the meat you will see the different muscles so just ease your fingers in and take off each one and slice into steak or debone wrap and cook in the oven i like to slit the meat adding garlic cloves and roesmary season and glug a bottle of red over with veg and cook slowly.

or roll the meat in olive oil garlic and seasoning and bbq hot .

or cook on the bone in the oven as first one,munty is really nice sweat meat good luck wayne

• 1 month later...

As above, split the legs into the muscle groups or paves ( sorry, its a froggy word and the ipad doesnt have accents). You can then either slow roast or fast cook. I always think that with venison youre better off going for long and low heat or fast and high heat. My best results come when doing the former.